xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] phone number in XRD?

I know I'm late to this thread, but I just wanted to amplify what Peter
said. I've always thought a sensible approach is for public
XRDS documents to advertise publicly available SEPs, and for private
attributes (including private SEPs) to be available through those public
SEPs that support authentication and authorization of the requesting party.

As Peter says, a Liberty Alliance personal profile service, or a SAML
authority, would be two such protocols that could be used. The other obvious
one is XDI, using the XDI link contract mechanism. The basic flow in the XDI
use case would be:

1) RP does XRDS discovery on the XRI to find a public XDI SEP for the User.

2) RP requests a link contract (if it doesn't already have one) from the XDI
SEP for access to private attribute(s). (It's interesting to note how
similar this is to OAuth step of the OAuth Consumer requesting an access
token from the OAuth Service Provider.)

3) User approves link contract and XDI SEP returns it to RP.

4) RP requests the private attributes using the link contract.

=Drummond