xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Re: Request for Public Review of XRI Resolution CommitteeDraft 03

> it seems the me the SAFEST position to take is declare our editable source
> as the authoritative version

For the moment (until I hear someone argue otherwise), I also believe the
editable source would be the format most likely to represent the intent
of the authors/editors -- who presumably will have verified the integrity
and fidelity of the text most closely in the editable source format.
While conversion errors/infelicities should be minimal, in case some
discrepancy is ultimately identified, it would be most useful to have
the authoritative version embodied in the most-studied (and original
"source") document -- not in a derivative format where the discrepancy
[error] was initially not spotted. In that case, the TC would have the
exquisite delight of certifying that a demonstrable (unintentioned
textual) error is in fact "the authoritative version."  Now nice.

What are the chances that a derived text is "correct" and the original
source version "incorrect"?

-rcc

Robin Cover
OASIS, Chief Information Architect
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
http://xml.coverpages.org/

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Drummond Reed wrote:

> I'm also cool with PDF as long as we check the conversion (we need to
> anyway). But let me turn this back into a question to Mary: what are other
> TCs doing? Are they electing to use their editable source as the
> authoritative file, or one of the other two formats?
>

> And in the end, does it really matter that much, i.e., aren't all outputs
> supposed to be identical (and shouldn't they be proofed for that purpose)?
> However, there is always the potential for errors that won't get caught, so
> it seems the me the SAFEST position to take is declare our editable source
> as the authoritative version.
>

> But I don't feel strongly about this, so I'll defer to Mary's
> recommendation.
>

> =Drummond
>

>  _____

>>> at: