xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] How can http: URIs meet URN requirements?

Another strike against using http: schema URLs:  HTTP transport coupling.

To me one of the biggest benefits of XRIs was independence of resolution transport, i.e. XRIs are to data identifiers what XML is to data.  URIs/URNs could fit the bill, but there's a different resolution mechanism for every URN namespace, if one exists for that namespace. XRIs provided a logical resolution mechanism that could be mapped to any physical transport, and was mapped to HTTP as an example.  This means you could have SIP-backed XRIs, XMPP-backed XRIs, Jini-backed XRIs, etc.

I realize that some have the view that http: schema on a URL does not imply use of HTTP to access that resource, but I find that counter-intuitive.  The schema on a URL serves exactly the purpose of a mapping to an access protocol in my experience, albeit limited when compared against that of the TAG.

A use of a persistent abstract identifier within the http: schema space also exists and has not caught on due to various issues: purl.org.

So if we went the http: route we would in my opinion be deciding on a vision of the data web that is an HTTP-based data web. If that's what we really want to do then fine. It is definitely not what I want, since my stuff centers on XMPP, AMQP, and SIP.  I also feel the HTTP data web will be a subset of the eventual data web and that we will see a mashup of transport protocols as we see a mashup of different device types becoming data nodes (i.e. data web nodes).

Bill Barnhill

From: Peter Davis
Sent: Thu 8/14/2008 9:33 AM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

the argument being made for accomplishing persistence in the http:
scheme requires the a domain (at some arbitrary level), carry a policy
of persistence.  thus, if a 2nd level name (eg: xri.net) stated that
it will guarantee persistence in it's namespace.  thus http://peterd.xri.net
  will never get re-assigned.

I cannot say i fully agree, but that is the "solution" which has been
discussed.

=peterd