xri message

Subject: W3C TAG discussion of XRI-as-Relative-URI proposal

FYI, copied below is the message I sent last Thursday night to the W3C TAG
mailing list to solicit feedback about the XRI-as-relative-URI proposal.

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/

John Bradley followed up with a copy of his blog post about "Cooler XRIs":

	http://thread-safe.livejournal.com/14165.html

Feedback has been relatively light due to a W3C conference going on now, but
so far it has been encouraging.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of
Drummond Reed
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:05 AM
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: 'Peter Davis'; jbradley@mac.com
Subject: [XRI] XRI-as-Relative-URI proposal

First, the XRI TC would like to thank the TAG and other members of this list
for the extensive feedback they have provided on XRI 2.0 since early July.
Proof that it has been productive has been the emergence of a new proposal
for how XRIs can better fit with AWWW architecture. This proposal has
received extensive discussion within the XRI TC and on the XRI TC mailing
list over the last month, and has had an initial preview with the TAG. They
found the proposal encouraging and suggested public discussion on this list
as a next step.

The proposal is written up on an XRI TC wiki page at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriAsRelativeUri

I won't even attempt a one-sentence summary here as it would only duplicate
the summary there, and the page already serves as a mini-FAQ for most of the
questions it has generated.

To those who have contributed to the XRI discussions here, and to anyone
else interested in the topic of abstract identifiers (in AWWW lingo,
identifiers of non-information resources that do not have direct
representations, only descriptions), we are very interested in your feedback
about this proposal.

I'm sure other XRI TC members will chime in with their perspectives and
questions too (you'd need a team of a thousand wild horses to stop them ;-)

Thanks in advance,

=Drummond