xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] XriAsRelativeUri - Question of Bindings

I thought you would bring up that small problem.

We could do it by configuration.  People telling us to add them.  That seems sub optimal.

We could modify the Zone server to do some sort of proxy operation to return the A record directly.

Or we could tell everyone to forget about using there own proxy in there HXRI and use xri.net for everything.

I don't know that the how you get a name in *.xri.net needs to be a part of the spec.

We will probably also define dome other mechanism to indicate a sub scheme that is not dependent on DNS.

That method is also required for XRDS-Simple/XRD as I under stand it.

=jbradley

On 7-Nov-08, at 10:10 AM, Chasen, Les wrote:

How do the sub-delegations of xri.net get in the zone of xri.net?

From: John Bradley [mailto:jbradley@mac.com]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 11:58 AM
To: Nika Jones
Cc: OASIS XRI TC

*.xri.net is just a way to determine by inspection that the http(s) URI adheres to the XRI subjcheme for http:

It has to do with the chain of authority.  We proposed in 2.0 that we use xri.* as the pattern for proxy servers.

The TAG said no you cant do that it violates AWWW in that we would be steeling a host name out of everyones namespace.

The principle is that you can only define policy for hosts under your domain.

So they have this as a principle but no mechanism to accomplish this.

An idea that we had to accommodate there principle but still allow for people to have there own proxy servers is to set up the DNS for xri.net in such a way that if you request an A record for xri.boeing.com.xri.net it would return the A record for xri.boeing.com.  This lets boeing run there own proxy at xri.boeing.com and produce HXRI like https://xri.boeing.com.xri.net/@boeing*marty that use there own proxy server,  but are still XRI by inspection.

They could get tricky and have two proxy servers one inside there firewall and one outside using dns split horizon.

As the HXRI that they produce are resolvable as URI from there proxy but by inspection a partner like Lockheed could resolve them via its own resolver or at https://xri.net as it sees fit for the application.

So to your question http://employees.example.com.xri.net/=nika.jones should resolve to the same meta data as http://parts.example.com.xri.net/=nika.jones  they are just separate proxies for load balancing and performance reasons.

This is not requiring anyone to set up there own proxy.  However it makes it easier for people to do that if they require it.

John Bradley
=jbradley