xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] GCS Characters

What I don't like about @ and = is that they are an attempt to DESCRIBE
the named resource instead of just NAME the named resource. Everywhere
else we recognize the folly of trying to describe the resource in its
identifier, and instead look to XRDS and resolution to learn about the
actual resource. The syntactic characteristics of XRI should be used to
describe the identifier, not to describe the resource named by the
identifier. For example, "!" says the identifier is "persistent"; not
that the resource is persistent; $ and + say the identifiers are tags,
not that the named resource is a tag. Etc.

Marty.Schleiff@boeing.com; CISSP
Associate Technical Fellow
Information Security Technical Controls
(206) 679-5933

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 12:11 PM
To: Schleiff, Marty; 'Victor Grey'; 'John Bradley'
Cc: 'Chasen, Les'; 'OASIS XRI TC'; 'David Orchard'

While I appreciate Victor's suggestion (even though it does make my head
explode ;-), what it doesn't take into account is the policy differences
between = and @. The former represents a personal authority (where the
data subject is an individual) and the latter an organizational
authority (where the data subject is an organization). This is a vital
difference from many standpoints, particularly with respect to global
privacy laws (which differ markedly in the EU and Japan from the United
States). It is also a significant difference from trademark law and
property law.

As an example, XDI.org has implemented XRI 2.0 registries that implement
such policies for registration of = and @ identifiers -- policies that
took many months to develop.

http://gss.xdi.org/moin.cgi/FrontPage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=gs
s-v1
.0.pdf

Lastly, in my work on data sharing implementations based on XRI and XDI,
the ability to distinguish between data subject to personal authority
and data subject to organizational authority has proven critical. One
motivation for the GCS Delimiter proposal is to make this easy for any
authority to declare than any data belongs in one space or another via
the use of both = and @ as delimiters. Any URI from anyone can be "cast"
as representing personal data or organizational data using the = and @
GCS characters:

	...=(http://example.com/data/uri)...