xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Aligning XRD with Link (Header/Element)

I just want to re-iterate that maintaining backwards compatibility is critical.  We have real users/communities using XRI and XRDS for real stuff.  The numbers may not be huge but breaking them is not going to send a good message.

From: John Bradley [mailto:jbradley@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:39 PM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: OASIS XRI TC; David Orchard; David Recordon

I am really hesitant to abandon backwards compatibility with openID mostly.

Not all openID RPs are going to upgrade to XRD overnight if at all.

Existing parsers are looking for Type and Service.

I can see making Type deprecated and allowing both Type and Rel during the transition.

Service is harder to deal with unless we do a similar thing and perhaps allow a mix of SEPs

Like:

<XRD>

   <Service>
       <Type>http://example.com/relationship</Type>
       <MediaType>application/xml</MediaType>
       <URI>http://example.org/document</URI>
   </Service>

   <Link>
       <Rel>http://example.com/relationship</Type>
       <MediaType>application/xml</MediaType>
       <URI>http://example.org/document</URI>
   </Link>

</XRD>

On the other hand as Services directly encode API endpoints should we keep them for such and use <Link> to indicate that the URI is abstract and is something that needs to be resolved to get the meta-data for the Link?

I don't think abandoning some sort of backwards compatibility is a good idea.

=jbradley