xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Re: Mime type for XRD/Site-meta signature file

FWIW, it might be worthwhile looking at the proposed simple-sign
binding draft [1] in the SSTC (SAML).  Much thought has gone into this
over the past year or so, and might save us sime time, if we really
want to consider ditching xml dsig.

=peterd

[1]  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/30234/sstc-saml-binding-simplesign-cd-04.pdf

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> (moving this thread to XRI TC)
>
> Some questions:
>
> Is S/MIME adopted? It seems to work very similarly to what we are
> looking for, though using multiparts and not links.
> Do we have an idea how the current status of adoption for PKCS #7 in
> libraries and platforms?
> How much signature metadata do we need to build into XRD?
>
> EHL
>

> On 12/3/08 10:14 AM, "Brian Eaton" <beaton@google.com> wrote:
>
> OK, here's why you should care:
>
> If we use PKCS #7, we get a signature scheme that works on arbitrary
> documents (xml, binary, json, whatever) that includes all of the kinds
> of metadata one looks for in such signatures, such as who signed the
> document, when they signed, etc...
>
> The downside to PKCS #7 is that it is somewhat hard to implement from
> scratch due to asn.1, and we all know that developers prefer to
> implement something simple themselves than pulling in a complicated
> library.
>
> If we use PKCS #1 we need to build signature metadata into XRD.
> That's not particularly hard, we can reference the relevant XML DSIG
> formats without pulling in the insanity of xml canonicalization.
>
> So at this point I'm voting for pkcs #1, but there are valid arguments
> for pkcs #7 as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav
> <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> > This means nothing to me... :-)
> >
> > I'm going to leave the crypto stuff to those who truly understand
> it.
> >
> > EHL

Peter Davis: NeuStar, Inc.
Director & Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff
45980 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
[T] +1 571 434 5516 [E] peter.davis@neustar.biz [W] http://www.neustar.biz/
  [X] xri://@neustar*pdavis [X] xri://=peterd
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
you have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.