xri message

Subject: Re: Mime type for XRD/Site-meta signature file

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> Is S/MIME adopted?

Reasonably so.

> It seems to work very similarly to what we are looking
> for, though using multiparts and not links.

Agreed, it's very similar.  The main differences are:

- xml dsig uses XML, pkcs#7 uses asn.1
- xml dsig allows for signing partial documents via xml canonicalization.

> Do we have an idea how the current status of adoption for PKCS #7 in
> libraries and platforms?

It's not in the standard java crypto libraries, you need to import
bouncycastle.  It is in openssl, however, and since most of the
web-friendly languages have openssl bindings they can use s/mime.

Unfortunately asn.1 parsers are not widely implemented in the web
friendly languages, so if you can't find a prebuilt library you're
going to have a really tough time with PKCS #7.

> How much signature metadata do we need to build into XRD?

I think we should reuse lots of XML DSIG (such as ds:X509Certificate
for including certs in documents), but leave out the complicated xml
canonicalization.  Instead we should use signatures separate from the
signed docs.