xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Minutes: Special XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Tuesday 2008-12-09

My opinion is that +skateboard, *(+skateboard) , *skateboard are all subsegments and are passed to the parent authority service to produce an XRD.

From a XRI resolution point of view there is not magic global semantic.

That is why =drummond@microsoft.com still concerns me.   People need to understand that this is a XRD produced by =Drummond that has no connection to the global @microsoft.com.

The fancy semantics are required for things like XDI that want to have additional semantics,  however to XRI resolution a subsegment is a subsegment.

If we want to loosen up what you can call a subsegment to also include +skateboard on top of *skateboard and !skateboard I am OK with that but I don't see any of those additional semantic variations as being anything other than a pass through from a XRI resolution point of view.

We also need to remember that just because XDI puts it's own distinction on +skateboard vs *(+skateboard)  some other protocol may place a different interpretation on those for its own purposes.

I see this as a loosening of the rules around what characters are allowed in a subsegment rather than introducing new semantics to XRI.

There are some new XRI semantics that we have to deal with and those come when you have a +, $ etc as the first symbol of an XRI.
There is also the question of what to do if the first subsegment is a cross ref that contains a URI.

We have $ words or operators that don't have any significance to XRI processing other than being subsegments.

Do we define a set of XRI $ words that could go at the start of an XRI that have special Authority serviers, such as:

$XRD(jbradley@ve7jtb.com)+icom+IC-92AD

The authority service for $XRD could be set up to do XRD discovery on the next subsegment (jbradley@ve7jtb.com) and produce a XRD who's authority would resolve +icom and its authority service would produce a XRD for +IC-92AD

Some Ham application could use that XRI rooted in my email address to find something useful about my radio.

It is even possible since I inferred the global concept of +icom+IC-92AD some other app could figure out it is a D-Star radio and do something useful with that information.

=jbradley