xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Subject Auth Name?

Hi All,

SubjectAltName is where we have put XRI into X.509 certs we have issued
to devices. So far other software has not complained, so that's good;
however, so far no software we run has attempted to use the XRIs in the
subjectAltName. On these certificates we also populate subjectDN, and
that is what our software tends to use so far.

We also use subjectAltName in smart card certificates we issue to our
employees. However, for these certificates we include the user's Windows
UPN so they can be used for Windows logon (the value in subjectAltName
has to match the user's UPN in Active Directory so Windows can figure
out which user is represented).

SubjectAltName can technically include multiple values, so we're
thinking about trying to include BOTH the user's UPN and XRI; however,
we haven't yet had the bandwidth to test this. We're apprehensive to try
it, because we expect a multi-valued subjectAltName will confuse COTS
software (similar to how many LDAP-enable COTS applications get confused
if the CN in an LDAP directory contains multiple values). Our primary
concern is in making subjectAltName multi-valued; we're less concerned
that one of the values would be an XRI.

Marty.Schleiff@boeing.com; CISSP
Associate Technical Fellow
Information Security Technical Controls