xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] URIMap element (was: XRD trusted discovery workflow)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:

Yes.

I wish I wasn't so distracted the past two days and available to offer my views on this (which are both based and directing the work on /site-meta and XRD), and maybe save you all this very long thread…

At the /site-meta level, there will be a facility to describe URI mapping via a URI template. /site-meta will have a canonical TEXT representation (Mark will hopefully push it out soon) instead of the current XML. XRD will define an XRD-based version of /site-meta so that a GET on /site-meta with Accept: application/xrd+xml will produce an XRD version of the same content (or just return the text format). At this level, templates will need some filtering based on the URI scheme.

The template element itself will need to support 2 attributes: vocabulary and syntax. This will allow any URI template format and any vocabulary. Within XRD, both can be implied from the <Rel> or <Type> of the <Link> (<Service>) but this is more true for vocabulary than syntax. I will send a full walkthrough tomorrow which will help understand how all this will work.

I think the part I'm not understanding is how the /site-meta URIMap will function, so I'm eager to see more specifics, especially regarding the syntax and vocabulary.  Looking forward to some examples.  Thanks Eran!

david