xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] trust profiles for XRD

Just to make sure I understand... the <ProviderID> element is only
needed if the resource URL != the CanonicalID in the deployment scheme
(meaning in most cases that the CanonicalID is not a URL).  Otherwise,
wouldn't normal delegation work for the OpenID RP outsourcing case?

As an aside, I think OpenID 2.x needs to specify a way for the realm
(aka trust root) presented to the user to be different from the
return_to URL as long as the trusted delegation path is valid.

--

OpenID RP site http://openidrp.example.com want to outsource it's OpenID
RP logic to http://rpsaas.example.biz.

XRD for http://openidrp.example.com (or could be in /site-meta if
/site-meta is signed)

<XRD>
     <CanonicalID>http://openidrp.example.com</CanonicalID>
     <Service priority="0">
        <Type>http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/rp</Type>
        <URI>https://rpsaas.example.biz/openidrp</URI>
     </Service>
     <Signature ...>
     </Signature>
</XRD>

XRD for https://rpsaas.example.biz

<XRD>
     <CanonicalID>https://rpsaas.example.biz/openidrp</CanonicalID>
     <Service priority="0">
        <Type>http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/return_to</Type>
        <URI>https://rpsaas.example.biz/openidrp</URI>
     </Service>
     <Signature ...>
     </Signature>
</XRD>

Trust root discovery would follow the XRD "chain" to find the resource
with the "http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/return_to"; "Service". If that
resource matches the return_to URL then this is trusted delegation of
OpenID RP functionality.

Thanks,
George