xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] trust profiles for XRD

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Sakimura Nat <n-sakimura@nri.co.jp> wrote:
> Indeed, and one of the most obvious way to mitigate the problem is to rely on a trusted registry that makes sure that it does not get reassigned to another party. Then the problem is reduced to whether you believe the operation and longevity of that registry.
>
> For example, Alice may at one time claim that alice.name belongs to her and she intents to use it as an abstract identifier for her.
> Then, she could obtain a cert from, say, a reputed CA called Verising. However, she cannot get it for http://alice.name/. Instead, she has to create a fragment portion as well, so that the abstract identifier would look like http://alice.name/#20081216 .
> Verising issues a certificate for this abstract identifer.
>
> At a later date, Alice looses alice.name. Bob gets it.
> To impersonate her accounts, he tries to get a cert from Verising for http://alice.name/#20081216.
> Verisign then checks if Bob is the same person as Alice, and finds out he is not.
> Then, Verising would not issue the cert. It would for something like http://alice.name/#20110303 but not http://alice.name/#20081216 .

So, in other words, we solve the identity problem by getting somebody
else to solve the identity problem.

I don't find this idea very attractive.

If users really want identifiers that last forever, then they can buy
them from a domain that promises to stay around forever (for example,
for £500 I could get a domain in .uk for the next 100 years). I don't
see why we'd want to construct the spec so that the _only_ way to get
an identifier is through a similarly expensive process.

By all means, though, point out that if you lose your domain, then you
lose your identifier.