xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> We can argue that we should simply ignore this position and within XRD
> define that when you perform XRD discovery on a mailto URI, the XRD is
> authoritative for the XRD-based discovery metadata. But we can also add a
> simple step that solves the authority question. DNS has the most authority
> over any domain-level services. So if we allow DNS to state that HTTP has
> authority over non-HTTP URIs, we solve the authority problem.

Ah, I see.  For the use cases I'm interested in (HTTP based,
obviously), requiring DNS modifications is a major barrier to
adoption.  I don't want to create practical problems in an attempt to
resolve philosophical differences.

Both trust and authority are highly application specific: can we
simply defer questions about trusting DNS vs http://.../site-meta to
individual use cases for site-meta?