xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Proposed XRD schema

What puzzles me here, and why I am advocating a service-centric pattern, is for cases why the Entity, in this case Yahoo, offers more than one service endpoint.

Take, for example, Yahoo supporting OpenID 1.x and 2.x protocol versions, at separate endpoints.  In your example below, how would an XRD processor identify which endpoint supports which protocol.  Eg, using your pattern:
<XRD>
    <SubjectType>http://specs.openid.net/role/provider</SubjectType>
    <SubjectType>http://specs.openid.net/version/2.1</SubjectType>
    <SubjectType>http://specs.openid.net/version/1.0</SubjectType>
    <Link>
        <Rel>http://specs.openid.net/relation/op-endpoint</Rel>
        <URI>http://openid.yahoo.com/auth1</URI>
    </Link>
<Link>
        <Rel>http://specs.openid.net/relation/op-endpoint</Rel>
        <URI>http://openid.yahoo.com/auth2</URI>
    </Link>

</XRD>

Now, clearly, for the case of openID, the link elements may contain distinctly identifiable properties (such as Rel).  It seems to me a more approachable way of doing this would be:

<XRD>
<SubjectType>::SELF</SubjectType>
<Link>
<Rel>http://specs.openid.net/version/2.1</Rel>
<Rel>http://specs.openid.net/version/1.0</Rel>
<URI>http://openid.yahoo.com/auth1</URI>
</Link>
</XRD>

(FWIW, I know i've not expressed this completely, but i hope the point is made non-the-less).

Further, as we were discussion on the call last night, If Yahoo wants to advertise:
- SAML 2.0 endpoint
- OpenID 2.1 endpoint
- Oauth Endpoint

all in the same XRD, (because the subject is always http://yahoo.com/, which is what the user will place in their XRD.

I, as a relying party, may want to perform service selection prefering SAML over OpenID (or the other way around).

I do not see how this schema supports that scenario (which is already in place and in use for openID and some SAML implimentations)