xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] xml dsig profile

On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Brian Eaton wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM, George Fletcher
> <george.fletcher@corp.aol.com> wrote:
>> But the need to expose these different endpoints is already a use
>> case. I
>> want my PoCo and ActivityStream endpoints listed in my XRD. How do
>> they get
>> there? Do I (the user) have to add them myself? Does the service that
>> generates the XRD have to provide UI to the user and present them
>> all the
>> choices for what to add? That won't scale.
>
> That challenge needs to be addressed independent of any questions
> about XML DSIG vs Simple Sign vs Magic Security Dust.

Well, sort of.  It will be a challenge, i think to concoct a non-
XMLDsig mode of signing document portions (rather than the entire XML
stream).  But I am not wed to signatures forms, as much as I am the
use case i described.

> Once we figure out the flows involved in managing XRDs, I think we'll
> end up at a point where each XRD for each user has either no signature
> (for use cases where security is not critical) or one signature.

Perhaps.  I have a few projects afoot which would benefit greatly from
service-level signing by different parties.  FWIW, any use case that
could be applied to a regulated space (eg: any US Corporation, Gov't
agency, etc...) will likely require some form of service
authentication (but perhaps not always at service discovery time)

> The single signature case would work as follows:
>
> Actors: user, XRD host, third party
>
> 1) Third party gets permission to modify the XRD for the user.  That
> could be via an OAuth approval, or something out of band.
>
> 2) Third party sends a message to XRD host asking to add a service
> entry.
>
> 3) XRD host adds the entry, resigns the XRD for the user.

Right, this will work for many cases, but not for mine :-(

> One key is all that's necessary, because the XRD for the user is *only
> making statements about the user*.  If you want authoritative data
> about the service, you need to go ask the service for that.
>
> So, yes, I see a need for service discovery and publication, no, I
> don't see a need for a single XRD to have multiple entries signed by
> different entities.

Peter Davis: NeuStar, Inc.
Director & Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff
45980 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
[T] +1 571 434 5516 [E] peter.davis@neustar.biz [W] http://www.neustar.biz/
  [X] xri://@neustar*pdavis [X] xri://=peterd
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
you have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.