xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-03-19

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 19 March 2009 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (22:00-23:00 UTC)

ATTENDING
John Bradley
Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Will Norris
Eran Hammer-Lahav
Tatsuki Sakushima
Peter Davis

REGRETS
Nika Jones
Nick Nicholas

GUESTS
Dee Schur

1) IDTRUST MEMBER SECTION

Dee Schur attended to remind us of the ways that the IDTrust Member Section
can help us. One option is helping support specific projects or outreach
efforts. We discussed the XRI 3.0 white paper is currently awaiting the
completion of the spec drafts; we anticipate it will be ready in Q3.

Deel also talked about the RSA Security Conference coming up. John and
Drummond are going to try to meet with Laurent Liscia, OASIS Executive
Director, during the show.

2) XRD 1.0 - SCHEMA

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema
	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200903/msg00038.html

Eran has also illustrated several patterns for using the XRD schema in
recent blog posts:

	http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/xrd-sneakpeek.html

http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/xrdbased-openid-discovery.html

http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/xrdbased-oauth-discovery-sneakp
eek.html

http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/xrd-document-structure.html

http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/the-xrd-extensibility-model.htm

Eran explained that one motivation for these posts is to help him figure out
the best way to structure the XRD spec. By writing up these things up in a
non-formal way, it helps reveal the best way to explain this information in
the formal spec.

Drummond recommended that TC members read these posts because they are very
clear and well-written. Will agreed, and hopes the XRD spec can meet the
same standards of clarity.

One topic Eran addressed in a the OpenID Discovery post was Nat's question
about covering the full OpenID scenario, i.e., both the OpenID user's XRD
and the OpenID Provider's (OP) XRD.

Eran's next post is going to be about how to extend XRD in "standard" ways
so that the extensions produce maximum interoperability. A specific example
he will cover is OpenID extensions such as PAPE.

Eran's OpenID Discovery post explains that there can be 2 "levels" of XRDs
on the provider side: one XRD for the OP that aggregates the endpoints, and
one XRD for each endpoint. However Eran expects the most common pattern for
OPs to be just one level, i.e., the OP will "collapse" the two XRDs into one
by having the OP XRD describe its own endpoints using <XRD:Link> elements.
This is done by including would be the <XRD:Type> URIs in the endpoint's XRD
as <XRD:Link:Rel> URIs in the OP's XRD.

Will asked if an OpenID user's XRD _could_ include that same <XRD:Link:Rel>
URI information describing the OP's endpoint (as in XRDS). The answer is
yes, it could -- in fact that has to be true if an OP can collapse its XRD
as described above. Such is the flexibility of a simple, generic discovery
format. However the OpenID specifications can limit this by specifying which
XRD MUST/SHOULD/MAY carry which discovery metadata.

3) XRD 1.0 - TRUST TEAM

Brian and Nat could not join today (Nat due to the U.S. time shift). John
reported that he had a good conversation with Eddy Nigg from Startcom about
XRI-based certificates. He said that this is similar to work that Startcom
has done for XMPP. There was agreement this is worth exploring.

4) XRI 3.0 - SYNTAX AND BINDINGS UPDATE

No further updates due to heavy work schedules.

5) PLANNING FOR INTERNET IDENTITY WORKSHOP

Drummond noted that IIW is coming up in two months - May 18-20 in Mountain

	http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/

He proposes that we hold another F2F there (hopefully as productive as the
last one). He also proposes that we have drafts of all our proposed specs
posted by then so we can start conducting reviews with the IIW attendees.

6) NEXT CALL

Regular time next Thursday 3/26, 2-3PM PT (22:00-23:00 UTC).