xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] FW: [link draft] Changing the model for links

Title: Re: [xri] FW: [link draft] Changing the model for links

Man, this is a mess. It appears the whole root of the problem (which you can see at http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html#specifying-external) is that HTML 4 decided to create their own “keyword modifier” for values of the rel= attribute in links. So you can insert the word “alternate” in front of “stylesheet” (separated by a space, i.e., rel=“alternate stylesheet”) to designate that it is an alternate stylesheet.

By coming up with their own semantics for how two independent strings modify each other as values of the rel attribute, they screwed up everyone else who would simply want it to be able to contain multiple values.

What were they THINKING???? It completely blows the regularity and elegance of the architecture.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel they have set such a bad precedent here that I don’t think we or anyone else should be obliged to follow it. I think we should stick to the rel attribute accepting multiple space-delimited values, and just accept that if certain of those values have a relationship to certain other of those values, that’s application specific.

Otherwise we’d end out completely screwing up the link model (and XRD 1.0 architecture that is based on it) to accommodate somebody else’s bad decision.

I propose we make this the lead (and maybe only) topic on tomorrow’s XRI TC telecon because it’s so important to get this feedback in now.

=Drummond