xri message

Subject: XML DSig

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but it was before I got
involved with the TC.  Why are we not using XML DSig for signing XRD?
I just got off a Shibboleth call where we were discussing the scope of
work for adding OpenID and XRD support to Shibboleth, and several
people (Scott Cantor included, of course) asked why weren't using XML
DSig.  I didn't actually know the answer.  I've certainly wondered
that myself, but kinda took it at face value that there was a good
reason.  Is there?  Is it really just that XML Canonicalization is
"too hard"?  If that's it, then isn't the answer to just write better
libraries ONCE and be done with it?  Was there something else brought
up in past discussions?

If there is a good reason, that's fine... I'd just be a little
embarrassed (especially as a developer) if all we have is "it's too
hard".

-will