xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] XRD Examples (and Trust)

See inline.

Yes, that's where it was used in XRI Resolution 2.0 (only then the Link
element was called the <XRD:Service> element). See section 10.2.2.2 of:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xri-resolution/2.0/specs/cd03/xri-resolution-
V2.0-cd-03.html

> I'm not sure if we can just cherry pick elements out of the DSig schema
> like that and reuse them in XRD, but I think it should be okay.

We /know/ it's okay - that's what we did in XRI Resolution 2.0.

> Or at the very least, should TargetAuthority be renamed to something more
> descriptive and its type changed to base64Binary like ds:X509Data has?

I'm not sure I understand. <XRD:TargetAuthority> in XRD 1.0 would replace
<XRD:Service:ProviderID> in XRI Resolution 2.0. The element type would still
be anyURI. From XRI Resolution 2.0 section 4.2.2:

****** QUOTE ********

xrd:XRD/xrd:ProviderID

0 or 1 per xrd:XRD element. A unique identifier of type xs:anyURI for the
parent authority providing this XRD.  The value of this element MUST be a
persistent identifier. There MUST be negligible probability that the value
of this element will be assigned as an identifier to any other authority. It
is RECOMMENDED to use a fully persistent XRI as defined in [XRISyntax]. If a
URN [RFC2141] or other persistent identifer is used, it is RECOMMENDED to
express it as an XRI cross-reference as defined in [XRISyntax]. Note that
for XRI authority resolution, the authority identified by this element is
the parent authority (the provider of the current XRD), not the child
authority (the target of the current XRD). The latter is identified by the
xrd:XRD/xrd:Service/xrd:ProviderID element inside a authority resolution
service endpoint (see below).

***** ENDQUOTE *******

> > I'm also not convinced that <XRD:TargetSubject>, while perhaps not
> > required,
> > is not still helpful for security reasons, but I need to think about
> > it some
> > more.
>
> would love to hear a use-case for it... None of us on the call last
> week could come up with one.

Agreed - ball's in my court.

=Drummond