xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] XRD for host-meta

First, this is mostly an issue for LRDD to deal with (since host-meta will be withdrawn as a separate spec and reintroduced by LRDD using XRD as its schema).

Your analysis is correct and so far I could only come up with two options:

1. Make a special case exception that when the subject is http://example.com/.well-known/host-meta, it is treated differently than any other URIs in that it means the XRD is not about that URI, but about the abstract host entity.

2. Define a new kind of URI that can be used for abstract entities such as "the host" or "the domain" but which is not an http URI because that will bring us right back to #1.

I am going to propose something along the lines of #2. It will either be a new URI scheme or a new URN namespace (most likely 'abstract'). So it will look something like:

urn:abstract:domain:example.com
urn:abstract:host:example.com:8080
urn:abstract:origin:example.com:8080:http

or

abstract://example.com/domain
abstract://example.com:8080/host
abstract://example.com:8080:http/origin

But I need to first float this idea across some key communities (IETF APP Area and W3C TAG).

EHL