xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] URI Fragment in <Subject> or <Alias>

Scott Cantor wrote on 2009-06-26:
> Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote on 2009-06-26:
>> I am not sure we need to say anything about it, but I can't figure out
>> what it means if an XRD has a subject with a fragment as part of the
>> URI.
>
> I don't think it means anything, in the context of a URI as an abstract
> identifier for something that may or may not resolve. They're best avoided
> simply because they create confusion, but don't really hurt anything
either.

> The only meaning they can have would be relative to resolution for
> particular MIME types that define the meaning, and I don't think that
> applies to an identifier.

I didn't say that well...presumably the subject of an XRD could be a
resource or it could be an abstract thing identified by the URI. I was
speaking more to the latter.

If it's an actual resource, then I would assume the the fragment would have
meaning relative to the MIME type that results, as usual, and that the XRD
would be about that subset of content, and not the whole resource.

If not, then I guess I'd suggest precluding fragments, because it wouldn't
make sense for two different Subjects differing by fragment to be meant as
the same thing.

-- Scott