xri message

Subject: Subject of a host-meta XRD (was: <SubjectTemplate>)

Eran,

I knew as soon as the question "What's the subject of a host-meta XRD?" came
up that we were headed into W3C httpRange-14 territory. For those who have
never heard about this "Web identity crisis", see:

	http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/httpRange-14/2007-05-31/HttpRange-14
	http://norman.walsh.name/2005/06/19/httpRange-14
	http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/125.html

There are dozens more references where those came from, as I'm sure those
who have stepped into this quicksand know. Just Google "httpRange-14".

So I'm not going to try to give any philosophical answers here, only
practical ones. On that basis, my observations:

1) Both the <XRD:SubjectTemplate> suggestion (see below) and the Powder
approach (essentially another way of desribing a URI template using
individual XML elements for each constraint) seem like reasonable options. I
prefer SubjectTemplate because it's less complex. But I'm not sure what the
SubjectTemplate value would be that describes "the authority for this
domain" vs. any specific resource in that domain. Would it just be a
wildcard?

2) A second option is to use either a fragment, or an empty fragment. I
prefer the latter for this particular use case. In other words, if
http://example.com identifies a specific information resource (e.g., the 200
response you get back), then http://example.com# could describe the abstract
concept of http://example.com (a non-information resource).

2) A third option -- mentioned frequently in the httpRange-14 debate -- is
using another URI scheme intended exclusively to represent non-information
resources. (Hmmmm, where could we find something like that? ;-) Of course,
it's ironic that due to W3C TAG's input, XRI is no longer actually another
URI scheme, but an identifier syntax that is bound to a base URI to produce
a valid URI. I posted earlier about what the bound http: XRI that described
"the current authority" would look like: http://xri.net/$.

In any case, all three of these options would appear to work. Have you
decided on one? Is the issue still open?

=Drummond