xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Delegation Terminology / Linked XRD

Forgot to reply to this earlier in the week, but we do need to wrap up
this discussion and decide how to move forward...

I agree that this is an absolutely valid model, and was actually the
first one I envisioned.  One thing to take into consideration when
flattening these XRDs is what to do with the Link priorities.  What if
XRD1 has two related resources, an OpenID provider with priority of 5,
and another XRD with priority of 10.  That linked XRD, XRD2, also
lists an OpenID provider with a priority of 1.  So which OpenID
provider should be used first?  The one with priority of 1, because it
has the lowest priority value?  But the linked XRD had a priority of
10... is that taken into consideration when determining the "effective
priority" of resources linked from that XRD?  There are a couple of
different ways to answer it, but my point is that you will probably
want to be explicit in how applications should handle this to ensure
consistent behavior.

The second problem with this approach is that you end up fetching
every XRD for the resource every time, even if the highest priority
<Link> ends up being in the first document.  I don't anticipate people
going too crazy with linked XRDs, but it is certainly a practical
deployment issue we should consider.

With the proposed approach of sorting by priority first, and then
fetching linked XRDs as necessary, it solves both the question of how
to handle "effective priority" as well as "just in time fetching" of
linked XRDs.  It certainly changes how we need to word the priority
attribute section, since it assumes you're sorting a pre-filtered set
of elements.

-will