xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Some questions: URITemplate

Most of Eran's comments align with my thinking. A few differences of
opinion inline:

>> 2. If we need URITemplate, do we need extensible vocabularies? (That
>> is what the spec calls for).
>
> As opposed to the specification defining a vocabulary? The vocabulary is completely <Rel>-dependent. Applications that use templates must define their vocabulary and they way it is declared in the link is using the <Rel> value. Consider > OpenSocial and the example above, the host-meta vocabulary will be completely irrelevant there. Not all templates are used for URI transformation.

While I agree that it is nice to have applications define the
vocabulary, I think we risk adding to much complexity when one simple
'default' vocabulary could be used by many applications.

For instance, suppose we define uri and +uri only, and say that
<Rel>'s could augment this dictionary with other bindings. Would that
strike a balance between generality and supporting simple use case
simply?

> I am happy to go with either position. The lack of use cases for a <Link> with both suggests we should go with the first view and remove the combined priority ordering.

Agreed. Let's leave combined prioritization unspecified.

--
--Breno

+1 (650) 214-1007 desk
+1 (408) 212-0135 (Grand Central)