xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] <Type>

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote on 2009-11-07:
> I will defer to you on the correct XML syntax. I agree there is a
difference
> between 'no value' and 'empty value'. However, that's up to the protocol
> defining the property to deal with.

I agree with that, but it's important that if a property wants to define the
meaning of "no value", that it actually use the syntax that means "no
value".

> We should provide two examples like:
>
> <Property type="http://example.com/some/api"; />

That's the same in XML as <Property type="..."></Property>

Now you start throwing whitespace in there, and things get messy.

> To inspire protocol authors on how they may use this element. But if they
> really want empty values as a valid property value, well, who am I to tell
> them no.

I agree with that also. Empty is fine when that's the intent, but the intent
should be clearly expressed in the markup.

-- Scott