xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-11-12

No problem. Have a fabulous time with them. Family is more important than anything, even the Hammer Stack ;-)

=Drummond

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:

Apologies for missing the call. My parents arrived from Israel today.

EHL

From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [mailto:drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:25 PM
To: XRI TC

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 12 November 2009 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

John Bradley

Nat Sakimura

Scott Cantor

Drummond Reed

Nika Jones

Markus Sabadello

1) XRD COMMITTEE DRAFT 01 REVISION 01

We discussed the feedback we received at IIW and the new revision Will has put out. See the following thread (and its antecedents):

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200911/msg00033.html

Nat made the suggestion that the TC compile a FAQ in order to answer the questions of why we made certain design choices. We also agreed that developing responses to the Comment list is a good way to start this FAQ.

We discussed how we should be dealing with Comments. Given the volume, we will need to pick out the specific comments received and respond to them. The wiki would be a good tool for doing this.

We did not have either editor present on today’s call, so we were not able to answer the question of how many other changes are still necessary to add based on comments received so far. Will’s last message to the list had several action items for Eran.

Scott raised the issue of whether the rel attribute should be optional, given that Link selection is primarily rel-based.

# SCOTT to send a message to the list on this issue.

2) HOST-META

See this thread (and its antecedents) for background:

            http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200911/msg00038.html

The URI of the new draft 4 is:

            http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hammer-hostmeta-04.txt

Eran was not on the call so we just agreed on the following:

# ACTION – ALL TC MEMBERS please review the new host-meta draft and send any feedback to the list or Eran.

3) XRDP (XRD Provisioning)

We had a short discussion of this possible work. See this thread (and its antecedents):

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200911/msg00015.html

Eran has expressed the view that this work did not need to happen here, nor in fact at any standards org if it was not necessary. Drummond queried those on the call whether this is something the XRI TC wants to undertake.

John pointed out that we don’t need to tackle it until there is confirmed demand, about which there was consensus.

We deferred further discussion until others from the IIW session could attend the call.

4) XRI SYNTAX 3.0 WORKING DRAFT 03 AND XRI RESOLUTION 3.0

Drummond and John reported on the IIW session on XRI Resolution 3.0, which was very productive. We worked through the entire process and determined that, as long as the resolver (local or proxy) is responsible for doing the URI translation as it moves from XRI authority server to XRI authority server, the XRD 1.0 spec and the host-meta spec for URI template syntax should work. This is because it is the resolver’s job to keep track of the URIs it needs to compose (the same way it did in XRI Resolution 2.0).

In this respect a XRI local resolver is now a very thin layer over a standard XRD consumer. An XRI proxy resolver should also behave just like any other server producing an XRD. The behavior of a “default service” that was provided in XRI Resolution 2.0 is no longer needed because the XRD itself is linked to the bound XRI and not the resource identified by the bound XRI. Instead the bound XRI can be a locator for the default resource, such as a contact page.

Drummond and John volunteered to work on the actual spec but not until closer to the holiday period due to current workloads.

5) NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time. Drummond noted he will be at the Impact Conference in Salt Lake City and may not be able to attend.