xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: Proposed changes to CD01

Yes. This came up a few times during the discussion about multiple subjects for host-meta where I had to explain that Alias does not extend scope.

> >> * Add text to <Subject> to make its design restrictions more explicit
> >
> > Added to the introduction:
> >
> >    The XRD schema is optimized for describing a single resource identified
> with a URI, as reflected by the
> >    definition of the <Subject> element. This design does not limit the
> >    applicability of the XRD schema from describing other classes of
> resources. This can be accomplished by
> >    by defining new extension elements capable to identifying different
> subject types.
>
> Would it be sufficient to just add a sentence to Section 2.1.3 along the lines
> of: "If <Subject> is not specified, it is expected that the resource described
> by this XRD will be identified by other means." ?

Given the long debate over Subject, I think this is a simple way of addressing it. The problem with limiting the comment to just the subject element is that it actually applied to alias and other elements. The whole schema is pretty much tied to this design.

> > And small changes to text about link selection:
> >
> >    <snip>
> >
> >    Selection based on multiple criteria can be handled by performing
> multiple selections. Each selection is
> >    assigned preference order based on the consumer's needs. The selection
> results are compared to determine
> >    the most desired set. For example, a consumer processing an XRD
> describing a article, is looking for
> >    links to resources about the author, and giving higher preference to HTML
> documents over plain text, will
> >    perform two selection rounds, one for links with the 'author' relation type
> and another for choosing the
> >    most appropriate link is more than one is found.
>
> This last sentence is a bit confusing.  I'll go ahead and tweak it a bit.

Sure.

> Also, the phrase "subject resource" was added in two places to refer to what
> is elsewhere called the "resource described by the XRD".  That's the first time
> this phrase has been used, so I'm a little concerned about consistency.

Yeah. Go ahead and make it consistent.

EHL