xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Property, rel comparison

Sorry, been tied up all day (and will be all day tomorrow), but reading through this thread, I have 3 takeaways:

1) This issue is indeed very important (above all because URIs are IMHO the lynchpin of XRD extensibility architecture).

2) We don't have consensus yet about the best URI comparison approach to define.

3) We need to do this before we go to CD vote.

Proposals as to how to move forward?

=Drummond

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:
Breno de Medeiros wrote on 2010-01-25:
> We can define that URIs are not supposed to be compared using
> schema-specific mechanisms but then things will break because people
> will use equivalent URI/URLs to refer to the same resource and
> interoperability issues will appear.

For certain kinds of things, I agree that's likely, but where identifiers
are concerned that hasn't been my experience.

> This is not the case where making implementation easy is the most
> important point. The spec should define URI comparison to be based on
> the scheme-specific notion of equivalence.

That's why I haven't spoken up (I thought that view was the consensus even
if I didn't agree).

> Also, the recommendation to treat URIs as case-insensitive is just crazy.

+1.

-- Scott