xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Removal of XRI from OpenID

Joe, I'm just reaching this email, having been offline for Memorial Day weekend.

I am well aware that some contingent of the OpenID community wants to eliminate any special support for XRI. Ironically with XRI 3.0, an http or https-bound XRI can be treated just like a URI, so the only optional special support is for OpenID UI to recognize the = and @ symbols as shorthand for bound XRIs just like they would recognize www. as a prefix for URLs.

So I'm not sure it will be an issue.

In addition,  some members of the OpenID community who recognize the value of identifiers designed for long-term identity -- for example how XRI infrastructure solves the OpenID recycling problem -- so when the new OpenID Discovery WG finally gets to the issue, we can tackle it then.

Thanks for bringing it up so everyone is aware of it.

Best,

=Drummond