xspa message

Subject: RE: [xspa] Draft of XSPA FAQ

John

I totally agree with you that the profile should be the result of due consideration of the use cases selected and the requirements that flow therefrom.  The profile should not be “specialized for demonstration purposes.”  I offer the links to our successful XACML InterOp (below) to show the specialized EHR application “available to the TC” for use with whatever profile results from the careful deliberation and discussion of the TC.   Once we have the generalized profile, I’m sure your long experience with IHE has shown, an InterOp is a great way to iron out any unexpected gaps. When we reach that time, we plan to offer an application that can be used to support that shake-out.

Best regards,

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration
Chief Health Informatics Office
Emerging Health Technologies

From: Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare) [mailto:John.Moehrke@med.ge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:09 PM
To: xspa@lists.oasis-open.org

Forgive me on OASIS process, but I am disturbed by the focus on demo prior to the writing a generalized profile. The XSPA should focus on showing how to use existing standards to achieve the XSPA use-cases. The goal of a profile is a specification that can be used by developers to create solutions that need little customization in a variety of settings. The resulting profile can then be specialized for demonstration purposes.

Is my understanding wrong of the process of creation of a profile/guidance vs demonstration?

John