xspa message

Subject: Comments made by Richard Franck

Colleagues

I have extracted the issues from the comments made in Richard’s document submitted June 12 and added them to the attached spreadsheet.  I have taken the liberty in adding a column of my thoughts on each of the items to stimulate discussion.  As suggested at the last meeting, we will go through the list at the XSPA meeting (6/19) and try to resolve the issues.

I want to thank Richard and his colleagues at the NHIN Specifications Factory and NHIN Privacy and Identity Management team for suggesting this dialog and look forward to our discussion.

Regards,

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration
Chief Health Informatics Office
Emerging Health Technologies
Office: 858 433 1473

From: Richard Franck [mailto:Richard_Franck@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:00 AM
To: Staggs, David (SAIC)
Subject: Fw: [xspa] Proposed Agenda for June 5, 2009, 1:00pm ET conference call

David,

I have recently joined the XSPA committee and I was the call four weeks ago, though I never got a chance to properly introduce myself.

I am the lead architect and standards representative for IBM's Health Information Exchange practice. In that role, I support the North Carolina Health Information and Communications Alliance (NCHICA), which is one of the HIE participants in the NHIN. As NCHICA's representative, I am a member of the NHIN Specifications Factory, and am the chair of the sub-team of that group that deals with Privacy and Identity Management.

That Privacy and Identity Management committee is charged with updating the NHIN Access Consent specification (called the "Consumer Preferences" spec) and the NHIN Authorization Framework specification to reconcile them with other standards activities, including XSPA, HITSP, and HL7. So I and others on the NHIN Spec Factory have been reading and paying attention to the work of your committee for at least a couple of months now.

Yesterday, the NHIN Spec Factory subteam adopted a work plan which calls for us to actively participate in XSPA committee (and other relevant OASIS committees) to harmonize the XACML and SAML profiles with the NHIN work. (And I use the word "harmonize" to imply bi-directional -- we don't assert that the NHIN specs have it all correct, and our work plan anticipates modifying them once the XACML and SAML profiles are finalized.) The work plan is attached, and I will also send it to the XSPA mailing list this morning.

I'd like to request that an agenda item be added for today's meeting to allow me to (a) describe the role of the NHIN Specifications Factory, and introduce the Privacy and Identity Management committee members and why the committee has decided to participate in XSPA; (b) clarify some things I heard on the call last month about the relationship among the NHIN Specifications Factory and the FHA "Connect" open source project; and (c) discuss the status of the drafts for the XSPA XACML and SAML profiles, and the process for moving them forward. (One particular item of interest to me -- which I wasn't even aware of until John Moehrke mentioned it yesterday -- is which OASIS committees is the discussions of those profiles taking place in; I had assumed it was this XSPA committee, but apparently that isn't the case.)

I'm looking forward to participating in this XSPA work and in talking with you and the other committe members on today's call.

Best Regards,

Richard Franck
Certified IT Architect, IBM Global Business Services
Healthcare and Life Sciences
office: 1-919-254-4771
mobile: 1-919-302-3880
e-mail: Richard_Franck@us.ibm.com
(See attached file: PIM_Subgropup_Approved_WorkPlan.rtf)

----- Forwarded by Richard Franck/Raleigh/IBM on 06/05/2009 08:35 AM -----

"Staggs, David (SAIC)" <David.Staggs@va.gov>

06/04/2009 11:24 PM

<xspa@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

[xspa] Proposed Agenda for June 5, 2009, 1:00pm ET conference call

Proposed Agenda
XSPA Conference Call
Friday, June 5, 2009, 1:00pm ET

Dial in info: +1 800 767 1750
Access code 97728 [i.e. XSPA T(C)]

1. Roll Call & Agenda Review

2. Approval of the Minutes of May 8, 2009.
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xspa/email/archives/200905/msg00007.html

3. Proposal to meet Monthly
The main focus of the TC was the development and demonstration of the profiles at HIMSS. Since the profiles have been updated and are now going through the OASIS process toward adoption as standards, I propose the TC meet monthly.

4. Status of the XSPA profile of SAML:
The SAML TC has approved our changes to the profile and has requested that the profile be prepared for a second shortened (15 day) public review.

5. Status of the XSPA profile of XACML:
The XACML TC has approved our changes to the profile and has requested that the profile be prepared for an electronic vote to move the profile to committee specification. This is the penultimate step towards adoption of the profile as a standard.

6. Outreach: OMG/HL7 SOA in Healthcare:
The HIMSS presentation was adapted to and presented at the OMG/HL7 SOA in Healthcare June 4 in Chicago by Brendon Unland and David Staggs.

7. Open discussion

8. Issue list

Regards,
David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration
Chief Health Informatics Office
Emerging Health Technologies
Office: 858 433 1473

Response to June 12 comments by R Franck.xls