acxo message

Subject: RE: We don't need to do XML.org after all

> Jon,
>
> I've been talking with Vernon over the past several weeks. He is
> interested in forming a working group (possibly a consortium)
> focused on
> XML applications for ecommerce (specifically: auctions, large
> financial
> transactions, etc.) under the OASIS umbrella.

Everything proposed by Keenan is already within the scope of OASIS/XML.ORG
as far as Commerce One is concerned, especially with the emerging
relationships between OASIS and UN/CEFACT (ebXML) and with CommerceNet (with
eco). Many of the commerce domains in which Keenan proposes to develop XML
schemas are already being addressed by efforts under way - what we need is a
process for moving these efforts toward XML.ORG with the architectural
consistency that is the goal of ebXML. We don't need to start them over
inside of XML.ORG.  This process for encouraging these WGs to join the
XML.ORG fold is what I thought Jon and Terry and others were working on.

Frankly, I think it is outrageously arrogant of Keenan to propose his own
little empire inside of XML.ORG.  Is he even an individual member of OASIS?
We have enough trouble coordinating XML.ORG with OASIS, and the reason why
Commerce One became a sponsor and why I've worked so hard to get something
like ebXML off the ground is because we can't afford all the duplication of
efforts to develop XML specifications for commerce. Commerce One will NOT
support any attempt to further splinter these efforts by creating yet
another sub-organization with another level of governance, dues, and so on.
No, let me make that stronger. We will FIGHT it.  Count one vote NO on
Keenan's proposal.

I feel very strongly about this. I am stunned that Laura could be having
discussions with a nonmember about a topic so fundamental to companies like
mine without mentioning it to xml.org!  Laura, let's try to make xml.org
work before we hollow it out for the benefit of free riders like Keenan.  If
he wants to join XML.ORG and tell us how to run it, give him the address to
which he can send his $35,000 check.  If he has so many other companies
willing to do this, they can all send us their $35,000 checks.

In the meantime, I recommend we tell him No THANKS and be done with it.

bob