acxo message

Subject: RE: We don't need to do XML.org after all

Whoah.  Let's seek first to understand, and then to be understood.

Firstly, I don't think anyone hs a clear idea of what's going to come out
of the ebXML, other than things EDI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ToR
are sufficiently vague to allow for infinite interpretation.  I must
gently suggest that the onus is upon us to make our intentions known
before we go around criticizing others for having the same ideas. After
all, how would they know?

If anything, we should appreciate the validation offered to XML.org. I
believe that there are many companies interested in what Keenan proposes
-- most of whom are not yet OASIS members.

And before you get too comfortable about telling me which conversations
are appropriate for me to engage in ... I have spoken with Keenan exactly
3 times; once today. The Board is well aware of my conversations with
Keenan. At this point, our conversations have been focused on how OASIS
can support domain-specific XML application development efforts. I have
not gotten into details about this domain with him.

I must also gently suggest that we resist the urge to become territorial,
and that we instead concentrate our energies on doing something
constructive. Which, in this case, might be bringing Keenan up to speed on
all of our activities (?) in this space.

I believe we are attempting to schedule an XML.org F2F for this Thursday
evening, from 7-9. I suggest we discuss it then.

FYI -- at least one XML.org sponsoring company is involved here.