acxo message

Subject: Re: XML.ORG's new look

Accessibility is one of our primary goals for the rearchitecture of the
site for which we are searching for a local site programmer.  This
cosmetic redesign was performed by UniComp, the firm that's been handling
our maintenance issues.  We are aware that tables cause problems with
some browser settings, but unfortunately were unable to address these
issues in this brief design period.  Rest assured this and other
accessibility issues will be addressed when we bring an adept programming
firm on for the major project, when I'll be able to closely manage and
work with the folks actually doing the work.

Thanks for the input.

-craig

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:03:34 -0800 Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> writes:
> It doesn't work very well.  In IE, try turning off image loading and
> setting your font to Largest (my defaults).  Now notice that because
>
> the designer has used tables  the text is pushed half off the screen
> to the right
> by the long ALT for the "XML Catalog" button.
>
> Now scroll down the page past the buttons and notice that half of
> the
> width of the page is wasted.  The same is true of other pages, too
> (at least those that I can load;
> http://xml.org/xmlorg_resources/index.shtml
> hangs).
>
> This is one of the commonest mistakes in Web page design, and it's
> an accessibility issue.  We should be able to do better.
>
> Please have this site redesigned without the tables.
>
> best regards, Terry Allen
>
> Terry Allen
> Advanced Technology Group
> Commerce One, Inc.
> Walnut Creek, Calif.
> tallen[at]sonic.net

Craig Chevrier
Managing Editor, www.XML.org
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(978)667-5115 (x203)
craig.chevrier@oasis-open.org