acxo message

Subject: RegRep Classification Recommendation

Hi All,

As a result of an Action Item from the 04 April 2000 concall we (Una,
Craig, Michael, Angel Diaz (IBM Research)) had a call earlier today to
discuss providing a recommendation to ACXO for a classification system for
the XML.org RegRep.

We are recommending that we use the current classification system that is
being utilized on the XML.org site.  We considered the NAICS system but
decided that it would not be terribly useful for our purposes due to the
North American focus of the system.  We will provide a browse interface for
all the listings as well as providing search capabilities.  Craig agreed to
provide a mock up of the front page for illustrative purposes (thanks
Craig), which I have attached below.  We believe that several different
views of the information are important however we will not have all this in
the first version.  We will try and capture the organizations' NAICS code
as an optional field upon submission of the schema to help with
classification in future versions of the RegRep.

We agreed to vote on this via e-mail at the 04 April 2000 concall.

I therefore make a motion to submit this recommendation for a vote and upon
seconding of this motion I hereby vote in favor.

(See attached file: RegRep_diagram.doc)

Regards,

Michael

IBM Corporation - mweiner@us.ibm.com