acxo message

Subject: Fw: XML.ORG classification scheme

Attached is the homework I did following last Tuesday's ACXO meeting,
which I sent to the "interested parties" yesterday.  See below for notes
on how to interpret the attached document.

-craig

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Craig Chevrier <craigchevrier@juno.com>
To: ukearns@documentum.com,mweiner@us.ibm.com,aldiaz@us.ibm.com
Cc: Jon.Bosak@Eng.Sun.COM
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:13:59 -0400
Subject: XML.ORG classification scheme

As promised, I've looked at and evaluated the NAICS categories and
compared them to the homegrown scheme begin used on the XML.ORG catalog
today.  I think I've found a plan that's both workable and scalable, in
which I've mapped our current classes to NAICS classes. For the purpose
of this communication, I'm calling the parent categories "Classes" and
the subcategories "Categories" for lack of better terminology.  I've also
attached a plain text doc, but the Word version is preferred, since its
formatting conveys info about the classification scheme.

Take a look at the attached document.  Here's a key:
*Bold headers --  Proposed Classes.  These are based on NAICS, in many
cases directly; still, some classes were unclear in NAICS, or were too
large (i.e., Information, which I've divided into 3 classes for our use,
since in NAICS, IT, computing, telecom, for instance, are all in one
class).  The headers are accompanied by brackets which show the NAICS
class with which it's paired, and/or the NAICS class name, in case I've
altered the name for clarity. Some categories will not contain any
specifications (yet).

* Underlined bulleted categories -- the classes from the current XML.ORG
catalog, grouped under the appropriate NAICS class(es).  Several
categories will fall under two or more categories (e.g., Geography,
Voice, Catalogs). Each category is accompanied in brackets by the current
listings in the XML.ORG Catalog which I believe would fall into the
respective category).

I'd like to hear feedback on this scheme.  The thing I like most about it
is the potential to "explode" each class as specifications are submitted
in potential categories.  The ability to store & track new categories
(and even classes) is functionality that I believe can be built into the
content management system.  This gives us an extremely flexible &
scalable solution to our categorization dilemma.

I propose we use these 24 categories; we can develop the UI and content
management system so that a category will not appear on the homepage
directory until it's populated with at least one specification, but by
delineating the classes now, we can offer the option to the user to
select it for his/her submission. Jon's right: The maintenance of this
scheme will be an Editorial function, since classes and categories will
be assigned by the user, and approved and reassigned by the Editor.

Once we have reached agreement, we can forward to the ACXO at large for
there feedback & approval, I presume.  I hope this is all clear to you...

-craig

Craig Chevrier
Managing Editor, www.XML.org
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(978)667-5115 (x203)
craig.chevrier@oasis-open.org

Agriculture [agriculture, forestry, fishing, hunting - NAICS code: 11]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Industrial Automation [MIMOSA; Nacimiento VIML]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]
* Weather [MetNet WeatherODF]

Mining [NAICS code:  21]
* Energy [POSC WellLogML]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Industrial Automation [MIMOSA; Nacimiento VIML]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]

Utilities [NAICS code: 22]
* Energy [POSC WellLogML]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]

Construction [NAICS code: 23]
* Architecture (and Construction) [aecXML Working Group]
* Construction Manufacturing [cmdXML]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Industrial Automation [MIMOSA; Nacimiento VIML]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]

Manufacturing [NAICS codes: 31-33]
* Automotive [AIAG; VehicleExport; MSR MEDOC; SAE J2008]
* Construction Manufacturing [cmdXML]
* Industrial Automation [MIMOSA; Nacimiento VIML]
* Publishing [Open eBook Publication Structure; Openly Informatics eFirst XML for Scholarly Articles; OASIS DocBook; TEI; VHG.org Virtual Hyperglossary]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]

Wholesale [wholesale trade - NAICS code: 42]
* Automotive [AIAG; VehicleExport]
* Directory Services [DSML; Novell DirXML]
* Electronic Commerce [eCo Framework; Commerce One CBL; CXML.org cXML; ebXML; IBM BRML; tpaML; JECPO PDML; OTP; SAIC UCLP; VISA XML Invoice Specification]
* EDI (Electronic Data Interchange)  [DISA ANSI/ASC X12/XML; EEMA EDI/MC; CEN/ISSS European XML/EDI Project; XEDI; XML/EDI Group]

Retail [retail trade - NAICS codes: 44-45]
* Directory Services [DSML; Novell DirXML]
* Retail [FRML]
* Travel [OTA]
* Electronic Commerce [eCo Framework; Commerce One CBL; CXML.org cXML; ebXML; IBM BRML; tpaML; JECPO PDML; OTP; SAIC UCLP; VISA XML Invoice Specification]
* EDI (Electronic Data Interchange)  [DISA ANSI/ASC X12/XML; EEMA EDI/MC; CEN/ISSS European XML/EDI Project; XEDI; XML/EDI Group]

Shipping & Storage [transportation and warehousing - NAICS codes: 48-49]
* Exports [VehicleExport]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]

Computing & Internet [subset of Information - NAICS code: 51]
* Catalogs [MartSoft OCF;  Requisite eCX]
* Computer Graphics [web3D X3D; W3C SVG]
* Content Syndication [Internet Alchemy OCS; Vignette ICE]
* Data Mining [DMG.org PMML]
* Directory Services [DSML; Novell DirXML]
* Electronic Commerce [eCo Framework; Commerce One CBL; CXML.org cXML; ebXML; IBM BRML; tpaML; JECPO PDML; OTP; SAIC UCLP; VISA XML Invoice Specification]
* EDI (Electronic Data Interchange)  [DISA ANSI/ASC X12/XML; EEMA EDI/MC; CEN/ISSS European XML/EDI Project; XEDI; XML/EDI Group]
* Enterprise Information Portals [DataChannel PML]
* Forms [JetForm XML Forms Architecture; UWI.com XFDL]
* Middleware [IBM Unified Customer Reporting Performance Data]
* Publishing [Open eBook Publication Structure; Openly Informatics eFirst XML for Scholarly Articles; OASIS DocBook; TEI; VHG.org Virtual Hyperglossary]
* Software [IBM BML; Flashline.com Software Component Documentation DTD; Flashline.com JavaDox; INRIA KBML; Marimba and Microsoft OSD; OMG XMI
* Translation & NLP [INT'L.com OpenTag; LISA TMX]
* User Interface [Mozilla.org XUL; LANSA XML; UIML.org UIML]
* Voice [Motorola VoxML; Sun JSML; voiceXML]
* Web Applications [Allaire CFML; DevelopMentor, Microsoft, UserLand Software SOAP; Extensible Log Format (XLF); Hiroshima University Information System Laboratory SGF; IETF WebDAV; Microsoft CDF; Python XML SIG XBEL; UserLand Software XML-RPC; WDDX]
* Workflow [IETF SWAP; WfMC WfXML]

Media & Publishing [subset of information - NAICS code: 51]
* Catalogs [MartSoft OCF; Requisite eCX]
* Computer Graphics [web3D X3D; W3C SVG]
* Content Syndication [Internet Alchemy OCS; Vignette ICE]
* Directory Services [DSML; Novell DirXML]
* News [IPTC NITF; IPTC NewsML; XMLNews.org XMLNews-Story and XMLNews-Meta]
* Publishing [Open eBook Publication Structure; Openly Informatics eFirst XML for Scholarly Articles; OASIS DocBook; TEI; VHG.org Virtual Hyperglossary]

Telecommunications [subset of information - NAICS code: 51]
* Communication (Telecommunications) [ATIS TIM; WAP WML]
* Voice [Motorola VoxML; Sun JSML; voiceXML]

Finance & Insurance [NAICS code: 52]
* Accounting [XFRML]
* Banking [BITS IFX; FSTC BIPS]
* Economics [EcoKnowMICS ML]
* Financial & Capital Markets [Digital Receipt Alliance FIXML; FinXML; FpML; Infinity NTM; Soliton HDXML; SWIFT]
* Insurance [ACORD XMLife; Lexica iLingo]

Real Estate [real estate and rental and leasing - NAICS code: 53]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Real Estate [OpenMLS; RETS]

Professional & Scientific Services [professional, scientific, and technical services - NAICS code: 54]
* Advertising  [adXML.org; NAA Classified Ad task force]
* Astronomy & Space [SML (Spacecraft ML)]
* Customer Relationship Marketing (CRM)  [Cognito CIML & NAML; CPEX]
* Geography [OepnGIS GML]
* Legal [XML Court Interface; Legal XML; Xerox DPRL]
* Publishing [Open eBook Publication Structure; Openly Informatics eFirst XML for Scholarly Articles; OASIS DocBook; TEI; VHG.org Virtual Hyperglossary]
* Science [Caltech CACR XSIL; e-Numerate RDML; MoDL; OpenMath; Proteometrics BIOML; Rosetta Inpharmatics GEML; Peter Murray Rust: Chemical Markup Language; Visual Genomics BSML; W3C MathML]
* Weather [MetNet WeatherODF]

Business Management  [management of companies and enterprises - NAICS code: 55]
* Customer Relationship Management (CRM)  [Cognito CIML & NAML; CPEX]
* Distributed Management [DMTF CIM]
* Enterprise Information Portals [DataChannel PML]
* Enterprise Resource Planning [OAG Open App. Interface Specification]
* Forms [JetForm XML Forms Architecture; UWI.com XFDL]
* Human Resources [DataMain hrml; HR-XML; OAG OAGIS; Siemens Time and Attendance System; Tapestry.Net JOB]
* Legal [XML Court Interface; Legal XML; Xerox DPRL]
* Middleware [IBM Unified Customer Reporting Performance Data]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]
* Translation & NLP [INT'L.com OpenTag; LISA TMX]

Home & Business Services  [administrative and support and waste mgmt. and
remediation services - NAICS code: 56]

Education  [educational services - NAICS code:  61]
* Education [Educom IMS; SIF]
* Bibliographies (Library Cataloguing)  [MARC; BiblioML]
* Geography [OepnGIS GML]
* Music [FlowML; CifraNet ChordML; Connection Factory MusicML; Univ. or Pretoria Music Markup Language]
* Science [Caltech CACR XSIL; e-Numerate RDML; MoDL; OpenMath; Proteometrics BIOML; Rosetta Inpharmatics GEML; Peter Murray Rust: Chemical Markup Language; Visual Genomics BSML; W3C MathML]
* Weather [MetNet WeatherODF]

Health & Social Services [health care and social assistance - NAICS code: 62]
* Healthcare [Environmental, Safety and Occupational Health; HL7; Phase Forward Clinical Trial Data Model]

Arts, Entertainment & Recreation  [NAICS code: 71]
* Music [FlowML; CifraNet ChordML; Connection Factory MusicML; Univ. or Pretoria Music Markup Language]
* Food [FormatData DESSERT]

Travel, Food & Lodging  [accommodation and food services - NAICS code: 72]
* Food [FormatData DESSERT]
* Geography [OepnGIS GML]
* Travel [OTA]

Home & Personal Services  [other services (except public administration) - NAICS
code: 81]

Public Administration [NAICS code: 92]
* Astronomy & Space [NASA AIML; NASA XDF]
* Forms [JetForm XML Forms Architecture; UWI.com XFDL]
* Geography [OepnGIS GML]
* Human Resources [DataMain hrml; HR-XML; OAG OAGIS; Siemens Time and Attendance System; Tapestry.Net JOB]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]
* Translation & NLP [INT'L.com OpenTag; LISA TMX]

Science (derived from several sub-categories)
* Science [Caltech CACR XSIL; e-Numerate RDML; MoDL; OpenMath; Proteometrics BIOML; Rosetta Inpharmatics GEML; Peter Murray Rust: Chemical Markup Language; Visual Genomics BSML; W3C MathML]
* Weather [MetNet WeatherODF]
* Astronomy & Space [SML (Spacecraft ML)]
* Energy [POSC WellLogML]
* Geography [OpenGIS GML]
* Library Science (from Bibliographies and Catalogs subheadings) [MARC; BiblioML; [MartSoft OCF; Requisite eCX]

Other
* Forms [JetForm XML Forms Architecture; UWI.com XFDL]
* Translation & NLP [INT'L.com OpenTag; LISA TMX]
* Supply Chain Management (SCM) [RosettaNet]
* Workflow [IETF SWAP; WfMC WfXML]
* Bibliographies (Library Cataloguing)  [MARC; BiblioML]
* Catalogs [MartSoft OCF; Requisite eCX]

XMLORG classification.doc