acxo message

Subject: hosting status: no contract yet

Hoosting status: still no contract. I was here late last night talking with
the prospective hosting site (iStructure, previously knows as PKS) together
with their attorney and the OASIS attorney. They have been unwilling to add
performance guarantees to the contract, without which our attorney has
advised us not to sign.

However, I've spoken with them this morning and it sounds like they're
willing to add some of the contract language that we need. It's still iffy
whether we'll have a contract today, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Background: iStructure was recommended to me by Una and Simon because they
could offer not only physical location (including power and connectivity)
for the server, but because they are also a Documentum partner and can
provide Documentum and Oracle monitoring, support, and services. They are
quite a bit more expensive than a regular co-location facility because they
can provide those additional services. The standard iStructure contract does
not provide any guarantees related to keeping the server up and running.
They will only guarantee the uptime on the facility (power and
connectivity). The OASIS attroney has advised us against signing this
contract because there are no guarantees of service and no remedies, and
only lately, after a couple days of negotiation, has iStructure sounded like
they may be willing to add this language.

The launch schedule as of a few days ago called for the server to arrive at
the hosting site on Monday (which it did; we shipped it in anticipation of a
signed contract), and be installed and running by today. Without a signed
contract iStructure will understandably not install the server. *IF* I can
get a contract signed today, the earliest that the server would be runnning
is Friday or probably Monday. Documentum and Sun (Walter, Michael, Jeff,
etc.) then need a day to configure the server in its new location and do
final file updates. *IF* I get a contract today we may be able to go live on
Monday or probably Tuesday. There will be no "pre-launch" where select
members have a couple days to do submissions so that the database can be
populated before going live.

If there is no contract today then the launch must be delayed until either
1) we can get a contract signed with iStructure, or 2) we find another host,
which could take a week or two to get bids and negotiate and sign a
contract.

I am open to suggestions, especially those that include names of other
prospective hosting facilities that can support Documentum and Oracle, or
third parties who can provide this support while we locate the server at a
different hosting facility.

In the meantime, I will work with our attorney to try to get a contract
signed with iStructure this morning.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS