acxo message

Subject: RE: web page issues

> 1) On this first page all the gifs on the right (not left, right)
>    are broken gifs (probably can't be found).  These are the logos
>    of the various members (Sun, etc....).
> 2) On the 'About xml ...) page, the body of the page is blank except
>    for two rows of links which seem to almost duplicate each other.
>    The first row has: FAQ, Intellectual Property Rights Statement,
>    Endorsements, Sponsors, Contact XML.ORG; the second row has FAQ,
>    Endorsements, Sponsors, Contact XML.ORG.

We're not seeing this on our end (that's Jon, Laura and Karl). It doesn't
mean it's not happening, of course. So, a question: What browser/version are
you using? We should also verify that you're accessing the same pages. 1) is
http://www.xml.org/index2.shtml and 2) is http://xml.org/registry/about.htm

> 3) The third button it named "New and News".  Is something missing here?
>    It does go to a seemingly complete news page, though.

It's been named New and News for a while. It's our news page.  Does it seem
awkward to you?  I don't know that we could react to that now, but we would
like to know if it seems illogical or unclear.

> 4) XML Catalog and XML Resources are OK.

Oh, thank God!

> 5) XML Registry page I thought was going to have buttons - it only
>    has links.  If it's going to stay this way I suggest adding a
>    couple of clarifying words to the links (Submit should be
> Submit Schemas;
>    Search should be Search for Schemas, or something to that affect)
>    and they need to be separated a bit more because their proximity
>    makes them look like one link at first glance.
>    View Help, View Release Notes and Contact Admin all seem ok.

The goal was to get something operational out there ASAP. We'll be working
aesthetics tonight, and appreciate the feedback.  We'll do whatever we can
to react to specific feedback, and to improve the look/functionality.
Remember, though, the ACXO decided to launch without a strong brand
identity. I'm doing what I can to balance the aesthetics with a false start
on the branding side. I want everyone to be able to live with it, but I can
pretty much promise you that you're not going to be "delighted." As
indicated and agreed to previously, that will come in the next phase, when
we invest the time and expertise in the UI.