acxo message

Subject: XML.ORG REGISTRY SUBMISSION PRESS RELEASE--DRAFT

ACXO,
The following is a draft press release that we plan to distribute at XML
DevCon, on the Business Wire and to our press contacts on Monday, June 26. I
apologize for the short notice, but we needed to wait as long as possible so
that we could include information on the submissions we've received to date.
Please return your comments to me today.
Thanks,
Carol

XML Community Rallies Behind XML.ORG Registry
Public Clearinghouse for XML Schemas and Vocabularies Takes Off

New York, NY; June 26, 2000--OASIS, the non-profit XML interoperability
consortium, today announced it has received overwhelming community support
for the first phase of its XML.ORG Registry (http://xml.org/registry), a
public clearinghouse for XML industry schemas, specifications and
vocabularies. In less than a week since the XML.ORG Registry began accepting
submissions, industry groups and developers from around the world have
registered to submit their XML schemas and vocabularies at the site. New
content at the XML.ORG Registry will include XML schemas for industries as
varied as human resources, petrochemicals, finance, mining, education,
scientific research and e-commerce.

“Response to our call for participation in the XML.ORG Registry has been
tremendous,” said Laura Walker, executive director of OASIS. “The community
clearly appreciates the need for an unbiased forum where developers and
standards bodies can publicly submit, publish and exchange XML
specifications—with no strings attached.”

Jon Bosak (Sun Microsystems), organizer of the working group that created
XML, explained the need for the XML.ORG Registry. “To effectively exchange
information over the Internet, industries must agree on specific ways to use
XML for their applications. New schemas, vocabularies, namespaces and
stylesheets for XML are being developed at such a fast pace that overlap,
duplication and confusion are concerns. By providing the community with a
non-commercial resource for accessing these XML specifications, the XML.ORG
Registry serves as an essential piece of the XML infrastructure.”

Initial response to the XML.ORG Registry’s call for submissions has been
global. Karl Best, director of technical operations for OASIS noted, “In the
five days since we began accepting registrations, OASIS has had
organizations and companies from Australia, Canada, Germany, India, Japan,
Korea, Pakistan, the Ukraine and the United States--all wanting to register
as submitters. We are working now to validate their submissions and will
soon be inviting users to access the XML.ORG Registry to find schemas for
their particular needs.”

The XML.ORG Registry was developed by Documentum and Sun Microsystems using
software components from Documentum, iPlanet, and Oracle. Documentum 4i
eBusiness Edition, the content management platform powering the registry
application, drives the entire process from the submission of a schema to
its availability for public access via Documentum Site Delivery Services.
The application runs on the Oracle 8i™ database, while the serving of
resources to users is achieved through the iPlanet Web Server from Sun. The
implementation is deployed on Sun Microsystems Servers.

The XML.ORG Registry was made possible by the donation of resources from
Documentum, Sun Microsystems, Oracle Corporation, IBM and DataChannel and
demonstrates their commitment to providing the community with an open,
independent resource for publicly available XML specifications. Funding for
the XML.ORG Registry was provided by DataChannel, Documentum, Commerce One,
GCA, IBM, Mercator Software, Oracle Corporation, SAP, SoftQuad and Sun
Microsystems.

About OASIS
OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) is the world’s largest independent,
non-profit organization dedicated to the standardization of XML
applications. OASIS engenders participation from across the industry,
bringing together competitors and overlapping standards bodies. Through open
discussion and debate, OASIS reconciles conflicting perspectives in order to
create specifications that are representative of the industry as a whole.

OASIS sponsors include Adobe Systems, Aerospatiale, AND-USA, Arbortext, BEA
Systems, Bentley Systems, Boeing, Bowstreet, Bridge, BroadVision, Chrystal
Software, Cohesia, Commerce One, CommerceNet, CompTIA, Corel, DataChannel,
DMSi, Documentum, Dun & Bradstreet, eCredit.com, Enigma, eXcelon, Extricity
Software, GCA, Health Level Seven, IBM, InformIT, Informix, InterCAP,
Interwoven, ISOGEN, ITEDO, JetForm, Keyfile, Logistics Management Institute,
Mercator Software, Microsoft, NextPage, NII Enterprise Promotion
Association, Nimble.com, NIST, Object Management Group (OMG), Open
Applications Group, Oracle Corporation, Pick Systems, POET Software, ProNet
Technology Partners, Reed Technology, Reuters, Sabre, SAP, Sequoia Software,
SoftQuad, Software AG, STEP, StreamServe, Sun Microsystems, Synthbank, Visa,
Wavo, Webb Interactive Services, webMethods, Whitehill Technologies, Xerox,
XMLSolutions and XyEnterprise.

About XML.ORG
XML.ORG (http://xml.org) is a vendor-neutral resource for advancing XML
industry standardization. Sponsors of XML.ORG include DataChannel,
Documentum, Commerce One, GCA, IBM, Mercator Software, Oracle Corporation,
SAP, SoftQuad and Sun Microsystems.

#  #  #

Documentum is a trademark of Documentum, Inc. in the US and other countries.
Sun, Sun Microsystems and the Sun logo are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
countries. Oracle is a registered trademark and Oracle8i is a trademark or
registered trademark of Oracle Corporation. All other company and product
names are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of
their respective owners.

For more information:
Carol Geyer
Media Relations Consultant