acxo message

Subject: Re: Call for XML.org sponsors' meeting April 9

| The original "XML.ORG FUTURE" is still available at
| http://xml.org/about_xmlorg/index.shtml. I believe this was
| written by you, Jon, and I think it's still relevant.

This appears to have been put together from the press release
announcing xml.org two years ago.  The original for that release
was written by Harold Anderson of IBM and then largely rewritten
by me.

I think it would be instructive to review what we said when we
announced xml.org.  Here's the relevant section of the
announcement, dated Tuesday, 25 May 1999:

   An XML Industry Portal

      The industry portal at XML.ORG will provide a center for XML
      interoperability in five key areas.

       - First, XML.ORG will provide a registry and repository for
         the access and management of XML schemas and other public
         resources (DTDs, namespaces, stylesheets, public key
         certificates, etc.).  Through XML.ORG, industry groups
         will be able to register their XML data exchange
         specifications, individuals will be able to look for
         specifications in their areas of interest, and
         applications will be able to access XML resources needed
         when acting on an XML document. For example, a software
         vendor or trade group might register a DTD for purchase
         orders, a developer might search the site registry for a
         purchase order DTD before writing supply-chain software,
         and a procurement application that receives a purchase
         order referencing that DTD but not finding it on its
         local system could automatically obtain the DTD from the
         repository to resolve the reference and continue
         processing.  Through XML.ORG, OASIS will complement the
         work of other standards bodies by providing a central
         clearinghouse for access to XML-related specifications.

       - Second, the XML.ORG site will implement an architecture
         employing existing and emerging standards for XML
         registry/repositories, work that is currently under
         development as an OASIS technical initiative. This
         architecture will allow vendors to create interoperable
         versions of the registry for use within industry
         organizations, communities, and corporations.  A
         registry/repository based on the common architecture
         might be used for a corporate intranet for ERP
         applications or by an industry organization for sharing
         information among its members.  XML.ORG will maintain a
         "root" registry that will point to compatible registries
         and repositories maintained by participating
         organizations as well as to resources in its own
         repository.

       - Third, XML.ORG will serve as an information portal for
         the work of OASIS-hosted industry groups defining and
         extending domain-oriented XML specifications for
         industries that lack XML expertise or the ability to
         support and refine these specifications on an ongoing
         basis.  OASIS has recently modified its membership
         structure to facilitate the participation of industry
         groups in the definition of XML specifications and other
         OASIS technical activities.  Any OASIS participant may
         propose the formation of a working group to define or
         extend an OASIS-hosted industry standardization effort.

       - Fourth, XML.ORG will provide a public source for
         interoperability guidelines to ensure that XML can
         fulfill the vision of providing for the open exchange of
         structured data.  This work extends an ongoing OASIS
         technical initiative to ensure XML conformance in
         cooperation with the U. S. National Institute of
         Standards and Technology (NIST).

       - Fifth, XML.ORG will provide a public source for XML
         educational and training materials developed by
         OASIS. Initially, http://xml.org (http://209.41.125.73)
         will provide basic resources to the XML community such as
         Robin Cover's popular SGML/XML pages, details of various
         industry schema efforts, free XML software, a link to
         IBM's xCentral XML search engine, news and education
         relevant to the XML community.

      As it evolves, XML.ORG will become the reference portal for
      XML developers, pointing them to available schemas and other
      XML industry specifications.  Through the site, XML
      developers will be able to search for existing
      specifications used in their industry and to monitor the
      work of groups designing specifications for their particular
      market niche.  When the registry/repository becomes fully
      functional later this year, the portal will serve as a
      mechanism for the automatic resolution of DTD, schema, and
      stylesheet references, providing an invaluable resource for
      XML-based e-commerce and serving as a model for the
      distribution of such services.

I think that any careful reading of what we said when we announced
xml.org will show the following:

   1. The primary purpose of xml.org was to provide an essential
      piece of an XML ecommerce infrastructure.  This point is
      nicely summarized in a passage from the FAQ that we sent
      out with the release:

         Q: What services will XML.ORG offer?

         A: The most important function of XML.ORG is to serve as
            a trusted, secure, persistent repository and registry
            for DTDs, namespaces, schemas, and other
            specifications that must be globally accessible in
            order to make possible the use of XML for data
            exchange within particular industries.  This base
            functionality will evolve through releases offering
            increased capabilities to OASIS members and the
            general public.

   2. As clearly stated in the press release, the role of xml.org
      beyond its primary function as a reg/rep was to provide
      three particular kinds of information: information about
      "the work of OASIS-hosted industry groups"; information
      about "interoperability guidelines" developed by OASIS; and
      "XML educational and training materials developed by OASIS."

In short, it was never the primary goal of xml.org, as envisioned
by those of us who proposed it and funded it, to serve as a
commercial XML portal.  That role had already been assumed, and
continues to be well supported, by xml.com.  The primary goal for
xml.org was to implement a reg/rep for XML specifications.  Beyond
that, we also wanted a domain name for projects like SAX, and I,
at least, wanted to kick-start public identifiers for the web by
implementing a URN resolver.  If I had wanted xml.org to be a
commercial enterprise, I never would have taken the domain to a
non-profit corporation!

As I read it, Leo's plan for xml.org is to put OASIS in
competition with xml.com.  I cannot see a business reason for
doing this.  XML does not need evangelization, and the world
already has an XML portal.  What the world needs now is not
another XML portal but a more functional reg/rep.  I would much
rather see us work on how to accomplish this original vision for
xml.org (by implementing an ebXML reg/rep, for example) than to
spend our time and money trying to compete with O'Reilly in
providing a service that already exists.

| It is primarily through new content that we will
| be able to captivate the market as it stands today

The market for what?  Eyeballs?  This kind of New Economy pitch
might have been convincing last year, but today it rings hollow in
a lot of empty dot-com offices.

A reg/rep is important to Sun because a functioning ecommerce
infrastructure contributes to our bottom line, and therefore I can
make a case for continuing to fund an effort to establish such an
infrastructure.  Where's the ROI for Sun in sponsoring an
initiative to compete with xml.com?

Jon