acxo message

Subject: Minutes of the ACXO meeting 2001.05.24

Present:

   Simon Nicholson and Jon Bosak, Sun Microsystems
   Sinisa Zimek, SAP
   Michael Weiner, IBM
   Una Kearns, Documentum
   Leo Kraunelis and Carol Geyer, OASIS

Jon Bosak was elected chair pro tem for the meeting.

With regard to the recommendations of the meeting 2001.04.30, Leo
reported that he forwarded them to the board along with his own
recommendations, but that the board did not get around to
considering them.

We discussed each of the recommendations from the meeting
2001.04.30 and took the further actions noted below.

| 1. We recommend that the direction of XML.org reflect the
|    direction described in the original announcement of the
|    initiative.

Leo stated his agreement on this point, but further discussion
ended with no clear resolution.

| 2. We recommend that XML.org provide the primary interface to the
|    Cover Pages.

In light of correspondence on this subject from Robin Cover and
after viewing the soft launch site, we now believe that the
treatment of the link to the Cover Pages from the soft launch page
is about right.

| 3. We recommend that XML.org resources be devoted to building out
|    the XML.org Registry; specifically, we recommend that XML.org
|    implement an ebXML reg/rep with hooks to UDDI this year.

Leo reported that he is fully in agreement with this
recommendation and has allocated $80-100K in his XML.org plan for
this item of work.

| 4. We recommend that XML.org focus on industry verticals, not on
|    XML itself or XML technology in general.
|
| 5. In particular, we recommend a focus on XML content
|    standardization efforts.

Leo stated his agreement with these points, and we observed that
the soft launch page appears to generally be headed in the right
direction with regard to a focus on industry verticals and
standardization efforts.  We stated a desire to be copied on
feedback from users.  It was agreed that the order of the primary
link buttons should be changed to put "XML in Industry" first,
"XML Registry" second, "News" third, and "Calendar" fourth.

| 6. We recommend a return to the description of XML.org as the "XML
|    Industry Portal" rather than the "XML Community Portal".

Done.

| 7. We recommend the implementation of links from XML.org back to
|    OASIS TCs and associated reference implementations in order to
|    promote the OASIS technical work.

Leo reported that this is in progress and will be done by the
launch date (middle of next week).

| 8. We request that a project plan to carry out these
|    recommendations be published to the ACXO.

Leo construed this to mean that the OASIS board would have to
approve a project plan, which would then be published to the ACXO.

| 9. We recommend that the launch of the new XML.org be postponed
|    until the ACXO can review the site after implementation of
|    these recommendations.

Leo reported that the board (or Laura -- it's not clear which)
decided to go ahead with the launch as scheduled.

| 10. Process detail: the ACXO needs to know its currently designated
|     voting membership.

Discussion of this point brought up the description of a
restructured advisory committee on the soft launch site; see below.

We agreed on the following new recommendations.

1. The description of the "xml.org advisory committee" on the soft
   launch site raises difficult issues about the management
   structure of xml.org going forward.  The OASIS board needs to
   settle this with the advice of counsel.  In the interim, the
   description of the projected advisory committee should be
   removed from the site and from marketing materials related to
   sponsorship.

2. The xml-dev page should be linked to from the front page and
   should credit Peter Murray-Rust and Henry Rzepa.

3. The ACXO should be copied on all communications with the board
   regarding ACXO recommendations.

4. The ACXO should meet on the fourth Thursday of each month from
   9-11 a.m. California time until further notice at a number to
   be provided by OASIS.  (So our next meeting will be June 28.)

Carol agreed will set up a regular call-in number for these meetings.

Leo agreed to update the ACXO list to include representatives of
current paid XML.org sponsors.

Respectfully submitted,

Jon Bosak, Chair Pro Tem