amqp-bindmap message

Subject: Re: [amqp-bindmap] Groups - AMQP Binding to SCTP v1.0 - all drafts - see "Details" uploaded

Small observation on a comment in the first draft - an email I must have missed:-

"In terms of replacing SSL/TLS, it would certainly replace the case where the entire AMQP protocol is tunneled over TLS... In my comment about section 5.2 I was specifically referring to the mechanism where we do a “TLS upgrade” on an AMQP Connection which initially starts as pure AMQP (i.e. the first bytes on the wire are AMQPx2x1x0x0 rather than the TLS header.  As far as I know no-one has actually implemented this layer anyway, and it does not seem it would be appropriate for DTLS."

FYI, StormMQ have implemented the TLS layer upgrade. That said, it adds very little in normal use, as any secure internet-facing broker isn't going to allow anything else on 5672... Most connections will want to use AMQPS / 5671, for the same reason folks prefer LDAPS over LDAP - certainty of sorts that the connection will be negotiated as encrypted (and also because it makes firewall tunnelling easier, eg when proxying 443). The place it adds a little is when using Connection / Link redirection.

For SCTP, we'd agree that the TLS upgrade is inappropriate - we'd rather just have a second port that is for DTLS SCTP connections.

Raph