amqp-ms message

Subject: Re: [amqp-ms] RE: Draft proposal for new AMQP Bindings and Mappings TC

On 08/01/2012 03:43 PM, Godfrey, Robert X wrote:
I guess my questions on this (and the re-chartering of the “core” TC)
are to what extent we can leave the charters more open ended. The
proposed mappings and bindings TC charter attempts to be open to future
work while defining the boundaries of “mappings” and “bindings”, but
still appears to restrict the scope to a define set of bindings an
mappings in some places “(JMS, WCF, SOAP, SCTP, and WebSockets
bindings)”. This is further muddied by phrases such as “Out of scope:
Any feature not mentioned in the Scope of Work section is deemed to be
out of scope”, and “Once the TC has successfully produced the
[explicitly listed] deliverables, the TC will enter into a maintenance
mode”.

I also think a more open ended charter is preferable; a clear description of the general category of work perhaps illustrated by - but not limited to - a couple of examples.

It's more important to constrain the nature of the solutions (e.g. the use of standard extension registries, maintenance of semantics for the performatives defined in the core etc) than to provide a detailed scope up front.

The work actually conducted will rightly be in those areas for which sufficient interest can be mustered to get proposals made and shepherded through discussion towards a vote.

Just as a suggestion on approach, I've attached a modified version of the draft in which sections c and d are edited to make clear the more open scope. Section b is already very good I think. (Apologies if my editor has messed up the formatting in anyway!)