Subject: Re: [amqp] Proposed AMQP Technical Workshop

On 03/13/2012 09:42 AM, Godfrey, Robert X wrote:
Thanks again to all who responded, I’ve collated everyone’s responses
from which I would suggest the following agenda:

Mon/Tue: Bindings and Mappings (2 days)

Stream A: JMS/WCF/DTX

Stream B: SCTP/OpenMAMA/C/C++

Wed: Global Addressing/End-to-end Security (1 day)

Thu/Fri: Adoption: Conformance Testing, Documentation, Examples (2 days)

[...]

Obviously suggestions on the agenda from those who are interested in
attending are also very welcome.

Unfortunately I can't make these dates.

However I would suggest since there will be several of you there that it would be good to spend a short amount of time on a (hopefully lightweight) process for defining 'unblessed' extensions in such a way as to encourage adoption of interoperable solutions. (Along the lines of Rob's recent proposal).

I'd like to see an RFC-like approach where anyone can post an RFC describing an extension and get allocated any necessary descriptors from an 'experimental' range (subject to sufficient clarity on the proposed mechanism).

RFCs could then be shepherded through the formal standards process based on interest, traction and scheduling. This could involve significant modifications; it could mean combining (aspects of) several different RFCs for similar mechanisms etc.

The point is however that we could have something emerge between a free-for-all with little prospect for interoperability on extensions and having to wait for everything go through the official process (which can also tend to rush things through).

Given the wide range of interesting extensions, I think such a process would be invaluable in developing some of the other themes in your agenda.