Subject: RE: [amqp] AMQP Management Operations

Just a point of clarification, the reason that the type used in READALL and DISCOVER-NAMES operations is “org.amqp.management” is because these are operations on management nodes: the (type, name) tuple uniquely identifies the object on which an operation is being called.  It is possible to have two objects of differing types with the same name (e.g. a queue named “foo” and a management node named “foo”). Thus if we wish to add a new parameter to these operations to restrict which values are brought back, this would be separate from the “type” parameter.

-- Rob

From: amqp@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:amqp@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Ted Ross
Sent: 30 July 2013 21:56
To: amqp@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: qpid-dev-apache
Subject: [amqp] AMQP Management Operations

In reference to the AMQP Management Spec. v1.0 (wd02):

I see that for retrieving information about manageable objects in a container there are a few options:

  • Use the "READ" operation to query a specific object by name,
  • Use the "READALL" operation to query every object in the container,
  • Use the "DISCOVER-NAMES" operation to get the names of all objects and then "READ" to query individual objects.

I can envision situations where a given container may contain very large numbers of objects (possibly millions).  In this case, READALL and DISCOVER-NAMES will be impractical to use (i.e. they will return with "413 - Request entity Too Large").  Using the optional "limit" argument doesn't appear to help.  The thing I'm looking for may be beyond the limit and I'll never see it.

It would be good to have a way to query all objects of a particular type.  Can READALL and DISCOVER-NAMES be altered such that specific type names can be used, rather than only allowing "org.amqp.management"?

Thanks,

-Ted

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.