Subject: Re: [amqp] Groups - AMQP Management v1.0 wd03 uploaded

David,

Thanks for the update.  I have some questions/suggestions about the new QUERY operation.

First, I'm a little confused by the fact that "Attributes" is mandatory and "entityTypes" is optional.  To my understanding, attributes have type-specific meaning, so searching for common attributes over a set of types doesn't seem that useful to me.  I would suggest that "entityTypes" be the mandatory property and "Attributes" be optional.

"Attributes" is defined as a string, yet it is described as a "set".  I think this property should be a list of strings where each item is an attribute name.  If not supplied, all attributes of the returned entities should be included in the response.  If supplied, only the listed attributes should be included.

"entityTypes" is defined as a list which suggests that a response may contain entities of multiple types.  This further suggests that the optional "type" attribute really isn't optional because without it, there would not be a way to determine the types of the entities in the response.  I suggest that "entityTypes" be renamed "entityType", made mandatory, and changed to a string type.  This means that all QUERY operations are on a single type.  This allows the types of the entities in the response to be inferred as opposed to having to be individually identified.

The "Count" property in the response is redundant with the count field of the list in the amqp-value body.  It would be simpler to have a property of "maxCount" that doesn't carry any information back to the requestor.  Depending on how the management agent is implemented, it might be onerous to encode the properties, then encode the body only to have to go back and re-encode one of the properties based on the size of the body.

Regards,

-Ted