announce message

Subject: OASIS MEMBER NEWS: Software AG brings its Native-XML Database to New IBM Platform for Electronic Business

-----Original Message-----
From: Maura Karas [mailto:maura@bohle.com]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Software AG brings its Native-XML Database to
New IBM Platform for Electronic Business

Tamino To Be Available on Linux for S/390

SAN RAMON, Calif. -- May 22, 2000 - Software AG is one of the first to
partner with IBM for its S/390 Linux platform, just introduced.  The two
companies have announced an initiative to bring Software AG's Tamino XML
Information Server to Linux for IBM's S/390 mainframe platform.  Tamino
is Software AG's new database, which can store XML data natively without
having to be converted to other formats.  As a result of the agreement,
IBM and Software AG will market the joint electronic business solution,
consisting of Tamino and IBM products.

The rapid growth of Web applications based on Linux is fueling demand for
XML content. The number of Linux users grew from about 1,000 in 1992 to
about 9 million last year, according to the Tower Group, which also
predicted
that worldwide spending by the top 100 financial institutions on Linux
will grow 32% a year.

"I am pleased to see IBM and Software AG working so closely together to
provide Tamino on Linux for S/390," said Stephen J. Carre, manager, S/390
Linux Marketing, IBM.  "Our joint efforts will provide the infrastructure
for ground-breaking e-business applications that will expand our joint
customers' service and opportunity to their customers."

This announcement marks the first time that Software AG and IBM have agreed
to market their joint solutions through the IBM reseller channels and by
Software AG's sales organization.

"We are very excited that IBM and Software AG have extended their
relationship
beyond technology," said Alf Goebel, vice president, Global Alliances,
Software AG.  "This will increase the coverage for IBM's and Software AG's
e-business solutions and will provide our joint customers access to exciting
and state-of-the-art technology through our mutual resellers."

The offering from major resellers around the world will be available during
the second half of 2000.

About Software AG, Inc.
Based in San Ramon, Calif., Software AG, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary
of Software AG, actively pursuing XML business in the U.S.  For more
information,
visit the company's Web site at http://www.softwareagusa.com or call (925)
242-3700.

Headquartered in Darmstadt, Germany, Software AG is Europe's largest system
software provider and a major global player offering leading edge technology
for data management and electronic business.  Since 1998 the company has
focused its development activities on XML products for the
business-to-business
market segment.  Software AG achieved sales revenue of more than $350
million
in 1999 and has more than 2,600 employees and representatives in more than
60 countries.  The company's distribution and technology partners include
market leaders such as IBM, Microsoft and SCO and innovative IT solutions
providers such as Extensibility, Softquad and InStranet.

Software AG's products control the central IT processes of thousands of
renowned companies worldwide, including FedEx, Citibank, MCIWorldcom, Shell
Oil and Delta Airlines.

About IBM
IBM S/390 servers support the world's most successful businesses and
organizations
by providing industry-leading levels of scalability, availability and
security
for large-scale enterprise computing needs.  The S/390 platform is a leader
in running multiple, diverse, mission-critical workloads and applications,
including e-business, financial and administrative, business intelligence
and enterprise resource planning.

IBM news releases and fact sheets are available on the World Wide Web at
http://www.ibm.com.  S/390 news releases and fact sheets also are available
on http://www.ibm.com/servers and http://www.s390.ibm.com

CONTACT:
Lisa Saven/Katie Ahrenhoersterbaumer