announce message

Subject: Mongoose Technology to Merge with RealCommunities

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mongoose Technology to Merge with RealCommunities; Accelerates Growth and Leadership in Enterprise Portal Market

Mongoose to take lead in "Community Computing" –

identified by Delphi Group as a top trend in 2001

Overview:

Mongoose Technology, Inc. today announced a definitive agreement to merge with RealCommunities, Inc., providers of Web–based community infrastructure software to companies such as eBay and ThirdAge Media.

• With the immediate delivery of the Mongoose RealCommunities solution, the acquisition accelerates Mongoose Technology's growth and leadership in the enterprise portal marketplace.

• This is a stock–for–stock transaction.

• RealCommunities, Inc. will become part of Mongoose Technology's new Community Development and Knowledge Management practice.

•Delphi Group identifies "Community Computing" as a top trend in 2001, recognizing Mongoose as delivering a unique solution for building communities and peer–to–peer knowledge exchange inside of enterprise portals.

Houston, March 6, 2001 – Houston–based Portal Lifecycle Management company Mongoose Technology, Inc. announced today that it has reached a definitive agreement to merge with RealCommunities, Inc. in a stock–for–stock transaction. With the immediate delivery of the Mongoose RealCommunities solution (RealCommunities Experience, Producers Workbench, Fundamentals, and Community Development Kit), and industry-acclaimed expertise in community and collaboration, the merger accelerates Mongoose Technology's growth and leadership in providing enterprise portal solutions that increase revenue and reduce costs for Fortune 5000 companies.

The acquisition is expected to be completed in March. CEO and Founder of RealCommunities Cynthia Typaldos, in addition to her core team, will join Mongoose Technology. Ms. Typaldos will become a full member of the Mongoose Technology Board of Directors. She will also serve as Executive Vice President of the Cupertino, Calif. Lab and Chief Knowledge Officer (CKO).

Cupertino, Calif.-based RealCommunities' customers have high volume, strategically important, natural communities with shared interests and needs. They include vertical portals, corporate portals, eLearning portals, eCRM environments, and knowledge exchanges. The Cupertino facility will remain as the West Coast development lab and sales office for Mongoose Technology and will be augmented with additional sales and engineering staff.

Delphi Group Chief Analyst Nathaniel Palmer said, "Among trends in enterprise computing, two of the Top 5 that Delphi Group has identified to most greatly impact business strategy are Enterprise Portals and Community Computing. The merger of RealCommunities with Mongoose Technology brings together what will be a unique combination of infrastructure and application services for building Web communities and peer–to–peer knowledge exchanges inside of enterprise portals."

Erick Rivas, President and CEO of Mongoose Technology, said, "Most portal vendors address online collaboration as merely a set of disparate applications, such as threaded discussions, e-mail, chat, document-sharing, etc., and completely ignore the underlying core concepts that help establish effective Web communities, including identity, trust, reputation, reward, purpose, etc. In order to enable rich, thriving Web communities, support for these 'concepts' is essential as part of the overall community architecture of a portal, and must be made available as API–level services to every application in the portal."

Rivas continued, "This rich, unique combination of community services and pre-built, extensible eCRM, eKnowledge, and eLearning applications built on top of those services is what we're delivering as a result of our relationship with RealCommunities. If we did not partner with RealCommunities, we would have had to build those capabilities ourselves in order to round-out our product suite."

Real Communities' Cynthia Typaldos, said, "We are delighted to become a key part of Mongoose Technology. Together we have the opportunity to build real communities that enable corporations, through their Web sites, to proactively manage key business relationships with and between their most important stakeholders: site members, customers, partners, developers, integrators, franchisees, distributors, employees, and many others."

Tim Chandler, Director, High Tech & Manufacturing Marketing, eBusiness Solutions at Nortel Networks, says "As we expand CRM into Supply Chain Management, Product Design, and SFA in the Enterprise Portal, the RealCommunities' solution provides a collaborative mechanism for cultivating communities with our customers, suppliers, and within our own organization."

Chandler continues, "We think community and collaboration helps us address business issues that affect the bottom line. We can use their reputation engine as a way to identify expertise within our organization, partners, and customers. We can reward customer loyalty. We can promote communities between our organization and our partners to creatively drive agility from our supply chain problems all the way though to CRM."

Product Integration

Given the common component-based architecture of both Mongoose's and RealCommunities' products – 100% Java and XML based, and running on J2EE™ (Java 2 Enterprise Edition) application servers such as BEA WebLogic – both companies' development organizations will realize immediate benefits of reuse and integrated staff resources.

The capabilities of Mongoose RealCommunities applications will be easy to incorporate into enterprise portals since they will be provided as a library of collaborating WebComponents™ that can be assembled with the Mongoose PortalStudio™ visual portal authoring environment.

Server–side functionality provided by Mongoose RealCommunities Fundamentals will be incorporated into the services provided by the Mongoose PortalStudio Server framework. Just as Mongoose PortalStudio Server now provides system–to–system integration services and person-to-system portal services, Mongoose RealCommunities Fundamentals will add a core set of person–to–person community services to PortalStudio Server. Altogether this will now enable companies to easily design, assemble, deploy, and manage community and collaboration applications throughout the enterprise portal.

The user profiles of Mongoose RealCommunities Producers Workbench will become user profiles within the Mongoose Portal Manager, accessible from within Mongoose PortalStudio or from the portal itself. For example when deploying the portal, the producer will configure the business rules for assigning loyalty points and reputation for any transaction in the portal and will receive alerts and statistics for monitoring the health of the communities.

The Combined Company

Mongoose RealCommunities Experience, Producers Workbench, Fundamentals, and Community Development Kit are available today, as are Mongoose PortalStudio and Mongoose PortalStudio Server. All Mongoose products are available directly through Mongoose Technology and through the Mongoose Valued Partner (MVP) Program channel.

About RealCommunities, Inc.

RealCommunities (http://www.realcommunities.com/) provides infrastructure software for corporate, employee, and consumer Web–based communities. RealCommunities Experience, the company's first community application, with its integrated configuration and management tool (the Producer's Workbench) can be used to effectively develop and enhance Web relationships for eCRM (customer, partner, developer, or distributor support portals), corporate portals, employee portals, eLearning, eCommerce, and small business portals.

RealCommunities' first customers include several of the world's largest lifestyle and exchange portals.

About Mongoose Technology, Inc.
Mongoose Technology, Inc. (http://www.mongoosetech.com/) is a premier provider of Portal Lifecycle Management products that are used to design, assemble, deploy, and manage enterprise portals. The company's products include the Mongoose PortalStudio™ visual portal authoring environment for the rapid development of J2EE™–based eBusiness Portals; and the Mongoose PortalStudio™ Server, which combines an XML–based portal server with B2B integration services. The company is headquartered in Houston, Texas, and was founded in 1999. Mongoose Technology, Inc. is located at 17225 El Camino Real, #340, Houston, Texas 77058; phone, 281/461–0099; fax, 281/461–0055.

###

For questions or comments about this press release please contact: mediarelations@mongoosetech.com, or Donna Samluk, president of Samluk Communications, Inc., at dsamluk@samluk.com or 925/736–8166.

Mongoose PortalStudio, WebCanvas, WebComponent, WebSkin, WebConnector, and RealCommunities are trademarks of Mongoose Technology, Inc. All other company or product names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.